Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Thankful Birthday!

I had a lovely birthday yesterday. Keith and Red (the dog) and I went for a nice hike at the coast. Then we headed out to Encuentro, a newish vegetarian joint here in Oakland, for a delicious dinner. I can't believe I'm now 38, holy crap!?! Of course this year is a little different, instead of just being disturbed by how fucking old I am, I'm really thankful to be around and living it up! This year has had some incredibly sucktastic times, but for the moment there is "no detectable cancer" and while I'm still bald and tired I'm feeling better and better. I'm walking more than 25 miles a week (Red loves this part!) and I'm finally back doing some sewing (heck I even sold something on Etsy). I still have a stupid number of doctor's appointments (evidenced by the $70,000+ bill from the cancer center last month), but I'm finding a new normal.

I know I've said this before, but it bears saying again... Thank you to everyone who offered support! I can't tell you how touched both of us have been by all the folks who have stepped up to lend a hand, deliver a dinner, send a care package, give a hug, send a card or an email, cover a class or stop in to check and see how things are going. While we may have been able to do it without you, I can't imagine how! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, indeed!"Sucktastic" - what a great word and ever so appropriate for describing what you've been through. Hope you're enjoying a slow but steady recovery, feeling a little better, stronger and hairier each day. 25 miles a week is very impressive, and that's what you're doing in your weakened state! It's great that you have Red to keep you company as you trot around the neighborhood. love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you are just a youngster! 60 is the new 40, right??!!

    Well, my hat’s off to you; you have an awe-inspiring perspective! Seriously. You have had a hellish year, but you have hung in there with humor, grace, and candor. I would be a blithering idiot looking for a large hole to crawl into.

    I hope you see improvement in your energy level. But heck, 25+ plus miles a week is nothing to sneeze at!

    So, here’s a to wonderful, healthy, and stress-free year 39!!

    Take care.

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete