Thursday, April 21, 2011

Sorry for the Silence

It's been too long since I wrote one of these- sorry about that. Things have been rolling along here. I had chemo last week and I'm still amazed that my blood counts were good enough. I feel pretty good. I'm definitely fatigued this round, but I'm hanging in. Still managing to get out and go for a walk everyday. I'm looking forward to my last round of this chemo cycle. I know there will be more to come, but the break will be nice.

My doctors all seem to be on the same page about what comes next...surgery and radiation! Apparently they can do the surgery about 3 weeks after my last chemo and after that I'll start radiation. I'm still working out the details, but I expect that the surgeon will recommend a lumpectomy. If I weren't stage IV they would do a double mastectomy, but since the proverbial "horse is out of the barn" they'll skip that and do a quick out-patient lumpectomy. It's a strange thing to wrap your head around, but the fact is; cancer in my breast is the least of my worries. There are micrometastases floating around throughout my body and that's what I worry about. Spending a couple months recovering from a mastectomy is not something I want to do considering I don't know how many months I've got. I'm planning on having lots of months, but you never know with this shit. The lumpectomy should get rid of a lot of what is left and then radiation will hopefully mop up the rest.

This does mean I get to add yet another doctor to my repertoire: a radiation oncologist. Woo Hoo! The bummer is that radiation is a daily thing for 4-6 weeks. I wouldn't mind if it were happening during the school year, but from the looks of things it is going to tie us down for the first part of summer. Not ideal, but there isn't too much to be done about that.

I'll post more as the details become clearer but as it stands, this is pretty much the info we have to go on. As always, there's the possibility that the plan may change. I already have an appointment set to see my 2nd opinion oncologist at UCSF in a couple weeks.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Eileen - You sound a little down and with every reason to be......but hang in there, you're doing a great job of making your way through this treatment maize. I'm glad you have a plan.... it helps a little.... and I'm glad that you've got a second opinion appointment set up. Take good care and rest. Love to you and Keith, ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, for the longest time, I didn't think I'd get better. I was pretty close to giving up and expecting the crap to be the new normal.

    Now I have these amazing high energy days filled with what anyone else would call mundane: hikes with the dog, eight loads of laundry, cooking, cleaning, exercising, sewing.... and it's thrilling to JUST FEEL GOOD.

    Life is good; it will be again for you too. Keep your eyes on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the report, but no need to apologize for the delay!

    Yes, you have a right to sound down! This is so very, very tough. You are amazing to keep going, searching out new docs for your repertoire, etc. And, that’s smart to keep in touch with your 2nd opinion doc (YSOD- to coin an acronym). I hope that perhaps you can work in some fun between end of chemo and radiation? I know it’s so hard tell and plan.

    OK, that’s for now. Take care. And, I hope you are to work in some fun, naps, and walks this weekend!

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eileen,
    Always good to hear from you! You've been busy keeping up with your appointments and planning of the next steps. I think you sound very much in control and on top of the every changing game. You're plate is full being the general contractor putting together the advice from all of those docs. My hat goes off to you!!
    Woow! you've got great blood to withstand the chemo and not miss a beat. Good luck with number six and then the next phase with surgery & radiation. You & Keith need some serious fun close by.
    all our love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definately no reason to apologize, like to hear what is happening outside of the clinical reports. While it has entered your life, please never let it consume you completely. Your very special to your husband, those that love you and especially Red. Draw strength from everyone that you have touched and those that have touched you. Good thoughts are with you always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry that a vibrant young person such as you has to worry about micrometastases floating around and that there are 4-6 weeks of radiation coming up after the lumpectomy, taking up summer vacation time, I'd assume (an it's-not-fair rant here). Your strength and courage are awsome, an inspriational gift to all of us. Hope you have lovely spring scenes to accompany you and Red on your walks. Thinking of you, Sheila

    ReplyDelete