Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Decision Made

I chatted with my medical oncologist today and she had already spoken with the radiation oncologist and was ready to give me her opinion on what to do. She suggests that I avoid whole brain radiation because, and I quote; "I expect you to be alive for a long time" and she wouldn't want my quality of life to suffer as a result of the cognitive problems that arise after whole brain radiation. The radiation to the posterior fossa will "clean up" anything that is left over after surgery and then they'll monitor me closely and use gamma knife to zap anything that pops up later on. I really needed a doctor to give me their opinion and their reasoning. I wish I had pushed the radiation oncologist to do it when I saw her, but the reality is that I have more history with my medical oncologist and would have wanted to talk this over with her anyway. So long story short, I'll be going ahead with radiation to my posterior fossa (back of the brain). The next step is scheduling and I'm hoping that I'll get a call tomorrow to get that started...

7 comments:

  1. I like the "live a long time..." part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eileen,
    So glad to hear you got some advice from your medical oncologist and have made your decision! I love her statement "I expect you'll be alive a long time!"
    It's awfully hard when the doctor doesn't give clear direction.

    Your photo of your scarf and Yosemite look great! Good for you and Keith getting "off the ranch" to see some gorgeous scenery!

    I hope you can work out a convenient schedule for your radiation. It's a lot to fit in with teaching as well.

    Great news that Keith's mom and dad made it home for the weekend. Hope they can manage to do that more often now.

    Love,
    Kate and Doug
    PS My last two comments got lost in cyber space.
    Let's see if this one makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great decision, with wonderful reasoning behind it!!!
    Love, ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES!! Great news all around! Alive a long time and 100% brain function sounds like a wonderful road ahead. Hope the radiation is not a bumpy ride in the near term.
    Thanks for the update.
    love,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that you got some help on the brain radiation decision, and what reassuringly positive reasoning to hear. Good lady, that medical oncologist! So what the heck is a gamma knife? Perhaps a special tool for those with good protoplasm?? Hope the radiation can start soon and that it isn't too troublesome. But take care; I hear radiation can be very tiring. How's Keith's mom? I hope she can transition to being at home before the snow flies. love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. Living a long time, always great to hear such a positive doctor. They are usually not in the business of sugar coating things so that brings much happiness!! Good luck with the radiation, and if there is any memory loss.. let it be the bad ones! Thoughts and prayers always with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent report!!! I know that any radiation regime is not a walk in the park by any means, but overall, this sounds great!! I hope that you are able to work out a do-able schedule and to start quite soon.

    I am trying to work ‘posterior fossa’ into everyday conversation as much as possible!!

    I hope that you and Keith are able to do some fun things this week to celebrate!!

    Take care.

    Love,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete