Monday, October 3, 2011

Stitches Out

So, it has been almost two weeks now. I had a nice week last week with my mom, she drove me around and kept me company. I wasn't the most fun to be around (steroids make me a cranky thing), but she was a great sport. At this point, I'm feeling pretty normal physically. My neck is still a little stiff and I still have a hard time getting comfy at night, but sleeping is getting better as I ween off the 'roids. I'm looking forward to being all done with steroids by the end of the week. There may well be more in the future with the radiation, but I'll deal with it when it comes.

Keith and I headed to UCSF today to see the nurse practioner who works with my neurosurgeon. She took out my stitches and answered some questions for us; I have a couple of titanium plates in my head. They cover up the holes they drilled in my skull and keep things all in place. She also told me that I am ok to drive (yippeee!) and I can go back to work part-time (although I need to be careful not to overdo it).

The next step is to see the radiation oncologist in a week. She will talk us through her recommendation. There are several different possibilities as to how to proceed with radiation and from what I read there is a lot of debate about what the best approach is. Of course the approach will be tailored to my specific situation and I have to tell you I'm really curious to hear what the experts at UCSF recommend!

OK, so here's a photo of my frankenstein like stitches...I'll spare you the more bloody pictures when I still had a drain in.

4 comments:

  1. Totally impressive stitches! No wonder you have had a stiff neck and trouble getting comfortable. Wonder if a bit of gentle massage for those muscles that must have been disturbed would be helpful. Glad that you can drive and consider going back to work part-time. Do you have lovely fall colors to enjoy as you walk your 3 miles/day and get behind the wheel? Hoping and praying that the radiation oncologist has a good approach for you. love, Sheila & Larry; purrs, Nona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Eileen! Thanks for the update and the picture.... very impressive... It gives me a stiff neck just looking at your picture. So glad you can drive now. Hope your recovery continues every day for the better and with fewer steroids.
    Take good care and don't overdue it. Love,
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive, indeed!! I can imagine that one could have fun with this scar- the possibilities seem endless – scaring young children, being a walk-on in a whole range of horror films or the centerpiece in a PSA, etc.

    But seriously, this is no laughing matter. I am sure that I cannot fully fathom how uncomfortable you are. I hope that you see steady improvement on many fronts.

    Take good care.

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me oh my, I can imagine that you must have one stiff neck with all those stitches, but you look amazingly well healed up for being just two weeks out of surgery. Take it easy as you work back into teaching. I hope that UCSF folks have some good recommendations for you. It's great to have them on your case and so close by. We are rooting for you, love, ellen

    ReplyDelete