Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Three Lovely Years!

Three years ago Keith and I got married and I love him more now than ever! Despite this cancer crap I'm a lucky fucker (well at least in some ways).

I had another Herceptin drip today. My heart rate is still a concern, but we're just going to monitor it for now. The good news today is that my tumor markers are down (they're down to 67 from 133). This is still higher than normal levels, but it is going in the right direction.

I'm feeling really pretty good after the last round. I started taking an iron supplement and it is making a huge difference (that and all that beef broth I've been forcing down). Red (the dog) and I went for a 3.5 mile walk today. I usually get between 2 and 3 miles in, but when I'm tired we do several short walks. Doing a "full pull" is something that I haven't felt energetic enough to commit to in a while.

There are however, a lot of little niggley side effects. I have crazy twitching muscles (right now it is a little muscle right below my right eye), hot flashes (hello chemical menopause), taste buds that don't taste much (therefore I eat more, urgh), my GI tract is always messed up in some way no matter what I do. Now, none of these are terrible (somedays the hot flashes are really intense - I'm trying to find a pattern there, but no luck so far) but they are pretty annoying. The reality is, if these are my only problems, I'm doing pretty well.

5 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary! I have fond memories of toasting you with sparkling juice on the Monday after.

    Glad to hear things are heading in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! Wish you were celebrating it without the FC cloud over you. Congratulations to both of you for keeping your love strong through this rotten patch. Yes, Eileen, you are a lucky gal in the husband dept! Now, that doesn't mean that you can't complain about all these pesky side effects-they are most annoying- and you heart rate problem worrisome. Sending our prayers for your heart to be able to deal with the Herceptin. Love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and Happy Anniversary to both of you!!! I hope that you were able to lift a glass, spoon, and/or fork of something treatful. Although, with the noxious side-effects of the FC it may be darn near impossible to land on that special and satisfying something!

    Your collective spirit, humor, and candor continue to amaze and impress me! A tough mix to keep up. Thanks for your updates and interesting tidbits.

    Take care.

    Love,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary to you and Keith!! May you have many, many more!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary to you both! (a wee bit late)
    I just got back from a short trip to NH and your post was such a beautiful one this week: 3 lovely years. Your focus on the wonderful things in your life (despite the hot flashes & twitching) is a lesson to us all! Hope you can get some relief from those annoying side effects. But your good news on the markers is so encouraging! Hope your energy level remains good so you can enjoy those long walks with Red. Thanks for keeping us in touch - your a great writer.
    love to you and Keith,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete