Thursday, May 27, 2010

Wait and See...

Not much new here. I'm feeling pretty good all things considered. My heart rate is back down to normal this week, so I'm chocking up the racing heart rate I was having to the chemo (or even more likely the steriods I get around the chemo time) not the Herceptin. What a relief!

Keith and I went to see the breast surgeon today. He showed us pictures of the two CT scans of my liver and the change is really pretty impressive. We had only read the report, we hadn't seen the pictures before. I hoped to get a better feel for what is to come, but didn't really learn much. He seemed reluctant to speculate before he sees the scans I will get after my 6th round of TCH (the chemo cocktail). So I guess there isn't much to do but wait and see how things look at the beginning of July. I'm not really a fan of "wait and see", I'm a planner and this is putting a real crimp in my style.

Back when Keith first came out here and we were looking for a place to rent, we looked at a place in Berkeley owned by a woman named Lily. I liked her; she was quirky and she would have been a difficult land lady, but she told me I was a "life surfer". I didn't really feel like one at the time, but I do these days. I'm just riding this wave, not sure where I'll end up, but trying my bestest to enjoy the trip.

The long weekend means no chemo for me until Tuesday. Hopefully that will go easily (fingers crossed by blood counts are good enough to go ahead with it!!). It will be a busy day over there with all the Monday folks squished in with the Tuesday folks.

5 comments:

  1. Eileen,
    SHUCKS!! That's disappointing not to be able to make a tentative game plan for the summer. Hope you can do your best at transforming yourself into a laid-back West Coaster & enjoy the moments as you ride the wave. I remember being in Honolulu and hearing the folks from CA discussing with dread their return to CA due to the pressures that would entail. As one goes West into the East, time and planning seem to become decidedly more relaxed.
    Here's hoping drips 5 & 6 go well and that summer holds some treatful events/excursions for you and Keith.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Eileen - Yes! What a relief to see that Herceptin intake seems to be OK and working as it should. We're rooting for more good scans after your 6th round--it's great things are going in a positive direction! :) So now you can focus on other, let's say enjoyable, things while you "ride the wave". Here's wishing you a relaxing and occasionally exhilarating ride into July, "life surfer"! Broth and spinach(?) walks and fun, work and lots of love all around!
    Sending our love and good vibes to you and Keith as you paddle along . . . P & A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings,

    So, we have a mixed bag here: I am happy to hear that your ticker is humming within a reasonable range this week, but sorry to learn that you did not receive more definitive plans from the breast surgeon. That's very frustrating.

    I loved the idea of a ‘life surfer!’ In your situation, not an easy task, or at least not easy to keep on keeping on, and remain upright! (Not very fluent in surfer terms; a sentence including gnarly, barrel and hang-ten is in order here?)

    I hope that your blood counts are just excellent on Tuesday and that you have an uneventful drip.

    Here's to a relaxing weekend: kick back and do something fun this weekend (maybe more than one fun thing!).

    Hope the proverbial surf is up out your way!

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep in mind those dramatic CT scan images of improvement and the even better ones to come as you wait (a good idea but it doesn't make waiting easier, eh?!). So glad that the Herceptin hasn't been fingered as the 'perp' in the mystery of the racing heart. Fingers crossed for an un-remarkable chemo drip on Tues. Enjoy Memorial Day! love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you, Eileen, and hoping that you and Keith are having a relaxing Memorial Day weekend and that your chemo goes smoothly tomorrow, without too much waiting.

    ReplyDelete