Saturday, January 14, 2012

Double Whammy

On day two of my last round of Tykerb I noticed I had a fever. Nothing crazy high, but definitely a fever. I called the doctor, she said continue with Tykerb but add an antibiotic in case of infection. This became the perfect storm of sickness for me. I puked my guts out over and over and couldn't (and didn't want) to eat or drink. After a couple of days of no eating or drinking I was in bad shape- light headed, fatigued beyond belief, etc. After another call to the doctor, she tells me to skip my last dose of Tykerb and she got me an appointment to go in for fluids on Tuesday. I headed in for fluids and I still had a fever. The nurse called my doctor and they decided to do blood cultures to make sure I don't have some weird bacterial infection. On Wednesday I was still feeling ridiculously fatigued (I needed a nap after walking Red around the block - I usually walk him 3 miles) and emailed the doctor. She emailed back (at 11pm?!?) to say my blood cultures were negative and I probably had a virus. So, long story short, I've been home from work all week, napping, learning how to eat again (it was tricky at first - no joke, but now I'm back to my old self!) and trying to get back into shape. I still have a low fever off and on, but my fatigue is getting better (I managed 2 miles worth of dog walks today and a trip to the grocery store).

I'm scheduled to go in and see my doctor on Tuesday morning to get the all clear to start up round 3 next Thursday. I'm going to eat healthy and rest up in an effort to get back into fighting shape as fast as possible!!

6 comments:

  1. Eileen,

    WOW what an awful double whammy! I'm so sorry you have had a full week (or more) of feeling miserable. Avoiding those awful viral infections in the winter is so hard!

    I'm so glad you're getting back your appetite and able to get some exercise walking Red. Hopefully, you have Monday off for Martin Luther King day to give yourself an another day of rest.
    Love,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man. Sorry you had to deal with that! Glad you're feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Eileen, I am so very sorry that you had such a horrible week with both the Tykerb and a virus. You are a strong woman! I hope you are back in fighting shape real soon!! (And I hope that Keith hasn't come down with the virus as well.) Take good care. Love, ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen,
    What a week you had; you must be exhausted! I hope that you are back on your feet; but perhaps it is time for another round of Tykerb :(. You are one strong lady! I hope at least that nasty virus is long gone and that you can find some fun distractions to keep you entertained as you kill those cancer cells. love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update. I am so sorry to hear of your gut-wrenching (literally and figuratively!) perfect storm. Wow- you did not need this!!! I hope that the fever is a thing of the past and that you have the green light for round three.

    I hope that round three is relatively easy and uneventful.

    Take good care.

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful treat this morning - after over a week of not being able to see or post comments, the blog is working normally on my computer. Magic! I'll echo everyone else's comments and hope that you're beginning to feel good now that another round of Tykerb is behind you. love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete