Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Another Round Down

Keith and I had fun celebrating his birthday on Monday. While he went for a bike ride I whipped up a yummy chocolate cake. I used the raspberries from the farmers' market on top (oooh they were so sweet you wouldn't believe it). We managed not to get into the cake until after we had a delicious dinner at FISH. Unfortunately the birthday present I ordered him still hasn't arrived! I should have paid for the quick shipping, urgh.

My blood counts were good enough to get chemo yesterday. I'm still anemic, but not terribly so. I guess I'll just keep on with my beef soup and other iron rich foods (quinoa, lentils, spinach...) and I should be ready for the next round.

I feel fine, pretty lazy, some heart burn, but I managed to walk two miles with good old
Red today.

I talked with my oncologist about what is coming up. I was trying to figure out how to schedule a vacation. It sounds like I'll get a three week dose of herceptin with my next round of chemo. This will give us some flexibility to go away without having to schedule it around infusions. Two weeks after my next chemo I'll get several scans done to check on how things are looking. Those scans will determine what the next steps will be (can't wait!).

6 comments:

  1. You're both looking good and that cake is looking GREAT. Happy birthay, Keith! Very handy that they are able to load you up with a 3-week dose of herceptin so you can plan a vacation. We're all keeping our fingers, toes and paws crossed for excellent results of those scans...out! out! damn spots. Love S, L & N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Happy Birthday Keith!
    And happy 5th chemo to you, Eileen. We're all rooting for great scans in early July!!! Hope you and Keith can get in a relaxing vacation once school is out and number 6 chemo is done. You two deserve the best vacation ever!
    That cake looks gorgeous & delicious - a Maida Heatter cake?
    You're sure keeping up your strength if you & Red can keep up the walks post chemo 5. I figured that you'd be getting more and more tired as no. 5 and 6 came around. Hope Red is happy to follow your pace and not vice versa.
    Keep up your great smiles!
    lot of love,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're so happy your blood counts allow chemo to continue. The iron-rich foods must be doing the trick! :) That cake looks mighty yummy, lucky "birthday boy!"
    Red must be loving those walks. Little does he know how helpful his companionship is! Eileen, you look and sound great. It was just a joy to see your photo, and Keith's, here.
    Sounds like a vacation may be in the plan--how about the wonders of modern science? ("stacking up" on the Herceptin) We're looking forward to two weeks after your next chemo--keeping our fingers crossed that you have great-looking scans. Relax as you wait, Eileen. Easier said than done, hey?
    Meanwhile, we're keeping up the good vibe and sending lots of love your way. oxox P & A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Keith!!

    Wow, that looks like a fabulously delicious chocolate cake! I am sitting here having many messy Pavlovian moments: drool, slobber, salivate! The raspberries do look amazing, as well. It was probably hard to cut the cake, it’s so gorgeous.

    That’s great that your blood counts were sufficient to go ahead with chemo this week. There’s so much else to worry about. I hope they continue to be relatively respectable (if not better!).

    You and Keith are so deserving of a vacation! That’s wonderful news that you can go in for a large dose of herceptin.

    Take care.

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Keith! And congratulations to you, Eileen, for getting treatment #5 done! I am proud of you.... baking a cake (which does look very yummy!) and going for a 2 mile walk with Red..... that's great! Hope you are able to plan a wonderful vacation. Love, ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you well, sweet woman!!!!! Love, JOY

    ReplyDelete