Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Good Blood...

After feeling more tired than I have ever been in my life on Saturday and Sunday (I seriously wanted a bench to take a rest at the grocery store on Sunday...WTF!), I'm feeling a lot more perky the last day or two. That's probably because I rebounded better than ever this time. They drew blood when I went in for Herceptin this week (they usually don't, not sure why they did this time, but...). I continue to be anemic, but no worse than previously (thank you beef broth!). Only one of my liver enzymes is elevated and even that one isn't super high. This is really impressive for being one week out from chemo. As a comparison; a week after my first round of chemo, my liver enzymes were SKY HIGH. The interesting thing about my blood work is that my sodium was pretty low. I've been craving all things salty so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I've been instructed to measure out a teaspoon of salt and make sure to sprinkle it on my food over the course of the day. This really isn't much of a problem at the moment because my tastebuds are pretty dull anyway.

After a little back and forth, it looks like I have a work schedule for next year that will make it so I won't miss class time for infusions. No matter how the scans go I can count on having Herceptin infusions for as long as it keeps working for me. My school has a funky seven day rotating block schedule so getting a schedule with some day to day predictability is a huge deal! I'm feeling pretty lucky that it was something that could be accommodated, yippee!!

Well, school is almost over and with all my weeks off for chemo I have to say I'm not quite as burnt out as normal. In fact I'm almost a little nervous about not working. Working has been a really good thing for me through all this crap. Spending time in a room with 25-30 teens means you have no time to think about your own shit. I won't miss getting up at 6am every morning though! That's getting harder and harder!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear about the good blood work results! And that you have been able to work out a reasonable schedule for next year.... that must be a relief. Congrats on getting through treatment #5!!!
    Love, ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings,

    Glad to hear the good news on your liver enzymes, no small thing! That’s interesting about the sodium levels; is this an expected side effect of TCH (see, I'm paying attention and trying to get with, and stay up with, the program, here!! ha ha!)? So, guilt-free binging on chips is not in your future??!! Not funny, I am sure, especially with your delicate digestive system. Don’t want to rock the boat.

    Yes, you must be counting down the days til the end of school. Excellence in Zen-level focus: I don’t think a room full of kids could keep my mind off cancer and all of its complications.

    Good luck finishing up the school year.

    Hugs,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eileen,
    Good to hear that your power to rebound is so Excellent. Amazing that you're getting better at this over the chemo rounds. One would expect that you would be worn out by the 5th round. Hope you maintain the high energy - at least to get through the school year. I'm sure you'll find interesting things to keep your mind occupied over the summer and enjoy sleeping in. Glad your school was able to arrange a workable schedule for you for next year (it not only helps you but them too - seems like a no-brainer).
    Woow!! I just read your next blog on MONEY. Amazing how much this all costs. Hope the health care reform takes care of those without insurance (or without a good insurance policy). I can't imagine the anguish for those fighting cancer and the fiscal problems at the same time.
    Happy Last Week of school!

    cheers,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. ". . .rebounded better than ever" Wow! Sounds like the ol' system is getting the hang of this cancer fighting! Way to go!
    Paradoxically, (I guess) you now have to push sodium. Whaddaya know? One thing, and then another. . .but I can tell you're on top of it, which is great!
    AND you already have your next year's work schedule organized to accommodate your infusion routine--Good for you!
    It'll be an adjustment without school--I know from experience how that room full of teens can demand focus, and keep your mind away from your own problems. BUT-- consider--the lack of daily work stress might be GOOD for you: Relaxing, "wasting" time, puttering at fun projects, enjoying the day. . .can't beat it (speaking from experience, again, of course!) :) Maybe you can start planning some fun times just for you, or you and Keith, a change from the "grind" you've been juggling? Just know we're sending all kinds of good wishes to you, and thoughts of health and healing as you go about your day! Love, P & A xoxox

    ReplyDelete