Monday, June 21, 2010

So Close...

Had a frustrating trip to the infusion center today. I was all ready for my last round of this chemo. Got in quickly to get my port accessed and blood drawn, got pulled into the infusion room and got hooked up with the pre-meds. Then the nurse comes in and says there is a new order from my oncologist: I'm not getting taxotere or carboplatin- just herceptin. He couldn't explain why, just said the doctor would be over and I could ask her... My doctor did come by and told me that my platelet count was too low. The cut off is 100 and my count was 94... so close, but not close enough. I realize it is for my own good, but I'm frustrated. Despite all my life surfing talk I'm still a planner and this delay wasn't in my plan. At least it's summer and I don't have work to deal with too. It just means I'll be feeling pretty good for our trip up the coast this coming weekend and I'll be feeling pretty tired for our trip to Michigan for the 4th. (urgh, not the plan I had in mind).

So, now I'm going to take it easy, eat well (bone soup again!) and get those platelets up!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, darn. What a bummer! You must have been really looking forward to getting that 6th big drip 'under your belt'--so to speak. Since the platelet count wasn't that much below 100, maybe it won't be too hard to get it back up into the triple digit zone. Frustrating though! Enjoy the beginning of summer (always the best part!) and the trip up the coast. Hope it's absolutely gorgeous for you! Love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT A BUMMER! just when you were ready to get that 6th one done. Here's hoping those platelets are high next week and there's no hitch.
    Enjoy the trip up the coast-- and Michigan will have to be a laid back event, watching the local parade and fireworks.
    Hope the rains (we are super-saturated) and tornadoes are long gone when you are in the mid-west. Our huge willow in the side yard just toppled hitting our cars but not the house.. thank goodness no one was hit.
    love,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear your news!! It must have been so disappointing not to be able to wrap up the chemo regime - for so many reasons!

    Well, I hope that you and Keith have a fantastic trip up the coast this weekend: great views, interesting walks, and some tasty food treats. Will you have a furry and panting backseat companion? I am not inquiring about any recent trends in motorists’ experience with picking up hitch hikers of varying species, but rather am asking about Red’s weekend’s plans! And, I hope that you are able to find fun and low-key things to do in Michigan.

    Here's to sky-rocketing platelet levels; bring on the beef broth!

    Take care.

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear that you weren't able to get the 6th chemo treatment done this week. I'm sure you had been really looking forward to just getting this series of treatments done........
    Hope that you and Keith are having a great weekend on the coast anyway!!!!
    Love, ann

    ReplyDelete