Thursday, June 10, 2010

Money, Money, Money... MONeee

Thank goodness I have health insurance! Without it I would have two choices; sell the house and spend all we've got on medical bills and go on disability and medicare, or just give up and die. I just got my monthy statement for May and the bill from the cancer center is $34,427.22. In May I had 3 Herceptin only infusions, 1 Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin infusion, 1 set of blood tests, and 3 doctor visits (during infusions). This bill doesn't include prescriptions I have filled at the local pharmacy (another $300 or so) or the visit to cardiology ($300). The crazy part is that May was a pretty cheap month. I only had one full chemo and I didn't get any scans. July will be a much more expensive month because I'll be getting at least two different scans (that'll add another $10,000). It is really hard to wrap my pea brain around all this $$$.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, Eileen, thank goodness you have insurance! The cost of treatment should be the last thing you have to worry about! In fact, just breathe a sigh of relief, and trust that the balance left after insurance will be manageable. (I'm pretty sure it will be :)) I'm so GRATEFUL that you are covered, and we know you're being taken care of properly. You're a wonderful person, and DESERVE all the good fortune that comes your way! Lots of Love, hugs, (which Keith can deliver :)) and happy thoughts coming your way from P & A

    ReplyDelete
  2. $34,427.22 and That Was a Cheap Month: sounds like a great title for a scathing expose on the U.S. health care system. Yikes! Really is unspeakably obscene. Yes, thank goodness you do have good health insurance!!

    Well, put the bills aside and attempt to relax and do something fun this weekend (bring on the beef broth so you will have the energy to have fun!)

    Love,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've just made a great case for universal health care coverage....
    Hope you and Keith are having a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete