Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Third Round On Board

My blood counts were good enough that I got my chemo today. Yippee! I saw my oncologist and we chatted about the second opinion and she nodded in agreement. She seemed genuinely disappointed that I didn't have more progress pictures to show her today, but I'll be sure to load up the iPad next round. The drip wasn't ridiculously long today, but it does take some serious time (5+hours).

I was a little nervous going in because the skin over the tube attached to my port is red and irritated. The nurse that accessed me (hooked up to my port to draw blood) didn't seem too worried because "it doesn't look like an infection". My infusion nurse was more worried and thought the doctor might put me on antibiotics. When the doctor came around she told me to put vaseline on it and keep an eye on it. If it isn't better, I am to go see the surgeon who put it in. The good news is that I already have an appointment with him next week, so I'm all set (for once!).


5 comments:

  1. Glad that you were able to get this round of chemo on board and doing its good work. Sorry to hear that the skin around your port is red & irritated - was it uncomfortable throughout those long 5+ hours of the infusion? Hope the vaseline works and the surgeon has a good idea for a fix. Keep dry and cozy as you recoup from this latest blast of chemo - hope you get that sunny break from the chilly rain tomorrow. Rooting for you, S,L, & N

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and missing you at work. Like the comment above, I hope that you weren't uncomfortable during your infusion.

    Rest up this weekend...looks like some nice weather! Healthy vibes being sent your way! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more round done....yeah! Take very good care of yourself. Thinking of you and Keith.
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is rough when receiving the go-ahead for chemo is good news!! But seriously, glad you got another round on board.

    I hope that the port entry area is healing up nicely.

    And, I hope that you are able to enjoy the weekend, and work in finding some appealing treats, walks with Red, and some rest.

    Take care.

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eileen,
    Sorry I missed this post, but glad to catch up on your progress. Great to get round 3 done - keep that good blood cell count up. How's the redness around the port doing? My goodness you must be about ready for round 4! Good luck and hope you can get some good rest and relaxation in this coming week. We're all rooting for you. Love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete