Saturday, July 9, 2011

Here We Go Again...


Those nine days of no drugs feel so good. For the five days I take the meds, this stuff is way harder than the chemo cocktail I was on, but my recovery is much different than it was with chemo. I feel better as soon as I stop taking the Tykerb, Ketoconozol, Immodium, Zofran and Octreotide (there are a couple others I take when the nausea gets really bad, but those are the ones I have to take). With chemo every round I got a little bit more worn down. This doesn't seem to be having the same effect (knock on wood).
This is my last round before my scans on the 20th. On the 21st, I'll see my oncologist at UCSF to discuss the results of the scans. I also want figure out what my options are. I don't think I can work on this regime. It will be hard to quit the trial if it is working (fingers and toes crossed!), but I'm hoping there are other possibilities that would work well and won't be so damn hard.
During my 9 non-treatment days we got a lot done! We bought a truck! Keith has been talking about getting a truck again for years and we finally just did it. We walked over to the Toyota dealer on July 3rd and told them what we wanted and on July 4th (yeah, I can't believe they were open either!) we picked up a dark grey Toyota Tacoma. We're both excited about the new vehicle, but we didn't expect Red to be so excited. This is a 70lb dog that I have had to hoist into my car on multiple occasions...we get a truck and that fucker jumps right in every time. He LOVES the truck. So, who ever said "dogs love trucks" was definitely right!

Once we got the truck we used it to go bet a bunch of mulch and some stones to use as edging for the front yard. The yard looks much more pulled together. I can't believe we didn't do it years ago. We're joking that the new edging and mulch will make our neighbors think we're getting the house ready to sell! We also took a couple of hikes (local and out at the coast), went up the hill and watched fireworks from three different cities at once (pretty cool). There has also been lots of time for lazing around and enjoying summer!

Keith's mom continues to see some progress. She's working hard at rehab and if things go well could be home by August! I think the idea of being able to finally go home is really getting her excited.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the report avec photos! I am very sorry to hear that the trial continues to be so hard! These are powerful drugs. I hope that you get a good report later in the month as well as suggestions for an alternative trial.

    Congrats on your new truck!! It’s a fancy one, station wagon-like! And, I like the color. So, perhaps, the ‘new car smell’ is similar to catnip? Or, maybe Red just likes being at a slightly higher elevation when being driven around by his staff. It is a mystery; hope his enthusiasm continues.

    Wow, your front yard looks fabulous; the edging rocks really do pull things together. And, the planting are spectacular, too!

    Glad to hear that you have been able to laze around and catch some fireworks. You are in a great area to view fireworks, that's for sure.

    Best wishes to Keith mom’s; here’s hoping she continues to improve and is able to go home in August. Wow, it’s been a long haul.

    Take care.

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Eileen- I am so sorry to hear that this chemo is so rough on you. All my appendages will be crossed for your next scan.
    Congrats on the new truck. What fun! Keith and Red look very handsome in it!! And your front yard does look fabulous.... that is a gorgeous blue flowering plant.
    Hope things go a bit better this round.
    Love,
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear that the docs haven't been able to figure out a way to make the Tykerb treatment days less awful. Are the meds that you take when the nausea gets really bad effective at all? But, I'm glad to learn that it doesn't seem to be wearing you down as the chemo cocktail did. Would I be right in thinking that this means the Tykerb isn't so hard on your body? We'll be rooting for really encouraging results of your scans on July 20th. A spur of the moment purchase of a new truck - what fun! Just what you (and Red) needed! My, Red looks awfully proud - I hope his doggy friends have noticed him in the new truck. The front yard looks spectacular. So glad that Keith's mom and family can now see the light at the end of the tunnel (her going home). Vroom, vroom....enjoy the truck and summer. Thinking of you, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos of the vehicle and your boys - handsome twosome in that snazzy truck. That's the way to buy a vehicle - walk in and get it. And your garden is very nice looking indeed. Glad you had some good times on your 9 days off. Hope this last round before the scans is not too bad. Here's hoping that your scans are FANTASTIC and that the docs have some good alternatives for you to choose from! Treat yourselves to some good trips in the truck these next 9 days. Summer is a great time to relax and enjoy. Fireworks from three cities-- that must have been spectacular! cheers, Ellen

    ReplyDelete