Monday, September 12, 2011

Good news, bad news (really pretty much good news)

I got a call from my oncologist at UCSF today, yeah I said it... she called me!! This never happens. Actually she left a message and I called her back. She was calling to give me the results of my ultrasound (which I already new, since I talked it over with the radiologist on Friday as she was doing it). She said she wanted to call because she was so excited that "they can't see anything!" It must be good news if your oncologist is so excited they have to call you! She also told me my CT scan was clear and that she presented my case to the 'tumor board' today and they decided I'm a good candidate for surgery. Before I have surgery though, I need an MRI (I figured as much). Thankfully I'm still on the trial, so without me doing anything I'm scheduled for an MRI next Monday (at a time that doesn't interfere with work at all- thanks to Irene the trial coordinator). After the MRI, I'll go see a surgeon and talk about what kind of surgery I need. I thought only a lumpectomy was on the table, but it sounds like it might be a mastectomy depending on the MRI. Honestly, this is one of those things where I'll do whatever they tell me is best. I'd rather not have a mastectomy if I can avoid it, but if that is what the experts tell me to do, I will do it. So far the experts have done a good job of keeping me going.

O.K., what is the bad news you ask...My oncologist wants me to stay on the trial until my surgery (more puking, more nausea and more diarrhea, yippee!). I have to say I took the news pretty well, since it was preceded by the good news of the scans. I think it is also easier to accept knowing there is an end in sight now. I'm not saying I won't be sick, but knowing that it is working and knowing that I'm not on it indefinitely make a huge difference psychologically. I'm figuring I have two more cycles now and I'm keeping my eyes on the prize!

8 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Glad the not-so-fun news is only temporary (but it really doesn't sound fun). The good news sounds great! Yeah, Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What good news - and especially impressive to have the oncologist call you so excited about it. Congratulations! All that nausea, runs & puking paid off! So sorry to hear that more of it is in your future-hope only 2 more bouts. Is that to keep the area clear of the cancer up to the surgery? You've got some good folks working on your behalf from the docs to Irene getting you an MRI quickly and at a convenient time. Good stuff! Prayers & good wishes bucking the headwinds as they head west to you (and make a stop in northern MI on the way) love, S, L & N

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is super-fabulous news, Eileen! All clear.... Yahoo!! I know that the bad news is BAD and you were really hoping that the chemo was done, but looking at the bright side, it is temporary, and this nasty chemo seems to be working for you. I have total confidence that you will get through 2 more cycles of it. And just think, in comparison, a case of the stomach flu will be nothing to you!
    Love to you and Keith, keep hanging in there. Hope you get more good news on Monday and that the trip to Mayo is helpful to Keith's Mom.
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray!!! And, the pretty-much-good news just keeps rolling in!!!! We like our oncologist excited, don’t we?? Ha ha! Seriously, this sounds great. But I am sorry to hear that you have serious puking and trotting in your future. I hope that you make it through. Yes, it does help to have a prize at the end of the tunnel.

    Take care.

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep the faith, Eileen. Hang in there with the chemo as you prepare for the surgery. You WILL BEAT this. Reports sound so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eileen, that is fantastic news.. your strength and determination have been inspirational.. continued good vibes, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful news Eileen!
    So glad to hear that your scan was clear!
    Not happy to hear you'll be enduring 2 more cycles of Tykerb. You're amazing doing all this and teaching!
    Hope you get more good news next week.
    Sending you and Keith lots of good wishes,
    Kate
    PS I hope that Keith's mom finds her trip to the Mayo Clinic helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes!! That is great news (all except the next two rounds of tykerb). Your blog title gave me pause but the news IS GOOD. Amazing the doc called you. I'll be thinking of you on Monday with the MRI; hope that brings more good news. You're just amazing with your good humor and cool presentation! Take good care! Love from all of us, Ellen

    ReplyDelete