Tuesday, September 20, 2011

When a headache turns into brain surgery...

So I went into the ER on Sunday because I was having a terrible headache. It hurt so much it made me whimper it was so bad. After a call to my oncologist, I headed to the ER in Oakland (1 minute from our house), got some drugs, and a CT Scan. The CT Scan showed something suspicious and after consulting with docs here at UCSF I was transferred Sunday night. After a lot of drugs and neurologic tests (follow my finger with your eyes, etc) I finally had an MRI yesterday. The MRI showed a very distinct mass in on the left side of my cerebellum (back of your head). The mass is a little over an inch in diameter. Thankfully it is completely operable (not usually the case), so sometime in the next day or two they will cut open my skull and pop this bugger out! The word is that my headaches will disappear quite quickly and I'll be headed back home after a week or so and should be back feeling 100% after a month (give or take).

I just got finished talking to my oncologist (who I like more each time I see her). She pointed out that given the shittiness of the situation, I once again have the best possible condition, one lone metastasis, that is operable. It is helpful to see the sunnyside, because as usual it could definitely be worse.

One of the surgeons just came in to get me to sign some more paperwork (yes, I'll be donating my tumor to science - although I'm kinda sad not to be able to take it home in a jar) and to mark up the correct side of my head so they don't go cutting open the wrong place!?!? I guess that's a good thing, now if they can just remember to not to leave any tools behind before they sew me back up!

Please send all the positive vibes, prayers, whatever you do my way tomorrow. I've got a great surgeon on the case (he does several of this type of surgery every week). Surgery could be anytime from about 8:30am- who knows...All depends on what other emergent cases come through the doors. Since it is nothing by mouth after midnight, I'm sure hoping they can get me in as early as possible!!

p.s. apologies for any grammatical, spelling or other errors, I blame it on the brain tumor (and the fact that Keith isn't here to do his normal proof reading).

8 comments:

  1. Eileen, As usual you are in my prayers. Your positive attitude, amazing strength, and good humor are a lesson to all of us. Love, Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,Eileen, I am so, so very sorry to hear of this setback. Thank you for the blog.... as Claudia said above you have an amazing attitude. I don't pray very often, but I will be praying today for you.
    Love to you and Keith,
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sh#$@!%! A brain tumor?! The last darn thing you need is a little brain surgery experience. Yes, great that it's completely operable and that it will be popped out today, but still... Have you been having head aches or did it start, as I assume, all of a sudden? It will be wonderful to have the pressure relieved and the headaches stop. Wish I were closer to pop in for a little visit. Prayers and good vibes for a successful surgery this morning. love, Sheila & Larry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen, thanks for the blog update. I am SO SORRY to hear your news. I wish I had a magic wand to wave and make it all better. Sending you and Keith lots of love and prayers today,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so, so sorry to hear your news!!! Yes, as others have remarked, you have an amazing attitude!! Very tough and daunting task to identify the positive spin on a brain tumor diagnosis!! Yikes. I hope that all goes well, your surgeon can easily get the bugger (what’s the Latin translation bugger?) and that you get relief from the headache.

    Sending boat loads of good wishes and vibes your way!!!

    Love and hugs,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eileen, May all go well. before , after and inbetween. love Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Keith and Eileen,
    My love and prayers are with you. Good that they you are getting immediate attention at the best place in the world. All our love and prayers for you, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Know this story all too well. Lucky they CAN operate. Hope you have only success with the surgery.

    ReplyDelete