Monday, February 27, 2012

And Now We Have a Plan

We're back from seeing the radiation oncologist and we've got a plan. It isn't what we were expecting (gamma knife). I'm going to start getting whole brain radiation (wbr) tomorrow. From the sound of it, the cancer isn't growing in clumps, but in sheets, so it doesn't lend itself to gamma knife. Having wbr after having the partial brain radiation I had in November isn't ideal, but it is the best option (according to the doctor). There is a chance of damage to my cerebellum (since it will be getting radiated again). The cerebellum controls balance and coordination, so we'll just see how that goes. Radiating the front of my brain may leave me with some short term memory issues, but since I'm in good shape now she doesn't seem overly worried that I'll have serious issues (just things like forgetting my keys - and I do that already!). I'm not excited at the prospect of having to go and get radiated every day for 10 days (not including weekends), but I am relieved that it can get started quickly and my doctor expects my symptoms (headaches) should ease after just a couple of treatments.

Having a plan is good. I know I'll get radiation for the next two weeks or so and then I'll wait 6-8 weeks before I get another brain scan. Here's hoping this time it really works!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you FINALLY got to see the radiation oncologist and that you've got a plan of attack. We're sending all of our positive vibes, wishes and prayers westward that the WBR really zaps those cancer cells for good and that any damage caused by the radiation is minimal. We'll be with you in spirit tomorrow afternoon when you start the radiation. love, Sheila, Larry & purrs from Nona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for the update. I am sorry that the more simple radiation is not an option! But I hope that the full radiation will do the trick for you! I will be thinking of you.

    Take good care.
    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that you have a plan and that it is beginning TODAY. Good to get zapping those cancer cells asap. Hope you get relief from the headaches very soon but don't suffer any negative effects. You have a team of folks cheering for you from the mid-west. We'll be thinking of you this afternoon. all our love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you've gotten your WBR treatment underway. Here's hoping that it's giving you some relief from your headaches even after just a couple of treatments. We're thinking of you and sending you lots of good thoughts, our love and prayers. Kate

    ReplyDelete