Friday, February 17, 2012

Not So Good.

Well, the results are in and it isn't great news. There is an area of enhancement (cancer) growing in the same area as before and there is a new spot on the surface in the front left side of my brain. The results were preliminary (I love that my oncologist just calls right away - even if it is bad news, I'd rather know than be in the dark) but from the sound of it these are small spots. I am officially off the trial again (good - no puking, shitting and sleeping day and night; bad - no cancer killing).

I don't know what's next. I'm waiting to hear from my radiation oncologist. She'll take a look at the scans herself and come up with a plan. I'm hoping they're small enough that we can just blast them with targeted radiation, but we'll just see. As usual, I hate the waiting around and wish my radiation oncologist was more like my medical oncologist. I like them both, but I don't get quick responses from my radiation oncologist- things are much more plodding when dealing with folks in that department (no sense of urgency).

In the mean time, since I'm feeling good, I took advantage and got both cats to the vet, took the dog to the dog park, went to Costco to pick up a couple things and am in the middle of doing laundry and a little cooking. Keeping busy helps keep my mind off the crappy news and uncertainty. I'll feel better once I have a plan of attack!

6 comments:

  1. Eileen,
    I'm so sorry to hear that they found two areas of cancer in the brain scan last week. I hope you hear from your radiation oncologist on Monday (unfortunately a holiday) or Tuesday so you'll know what the plan is for the next step. The waiting is so hard!
    Glad to hear that you're feeling good and had energy to go to the vet, dog park, Costco, as well as do laundry and cooking - sounds like a lot to me!
    Sending lots of love and prayers,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear your latest news! Wow, it is very discouraging and unnerving to say the very, very least. I hope that you are able to communicate with your oncologist soon and come up with a plan for radiation.

    Glad to hear that you are feeling ok and are able to keep busy. Easier said than done, I am sure!

    Take good care.

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. What discouraging and worrisome news. I'm so sorry that those darn cancer spots have appeared and that you're having to wait to hear from the radiation oncologist. The waiting and wondering what the next steps are must be excruciating for both you and Keith. (No sense of urgency??!) You are so strong and sensible to keep yourself busy; I suspect that only helps a bit. Sure hope you hear from the radiation doc 1st thing on Tues. all our positive wishes and much love, Sheila, Larry & purrs from Nona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Eileen,
    Thanks for the update. I am so sorry that the results of your MRI were not so good. Sure wish you got an all clear. Stay strong!!
    My love to you and Keith.
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eileen--
    So sorry to hear this last turn of events. You have our admiration and love and our hopes and wishes are with you and yours. Costco therapy is a good thing! Not to mention to dog and cats. Stay strong. We love you.
    --Rich

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eileen,
    Thanks for the updates. It must be so hard to write when the news is not good. I do hope that you've heard from the doc by now and have a good plan made. You are truly amazing in your ability to focus on doing positive things, and keeping up your spirits. You are wonderful and an inspiration! All our love and prayers, Ellen

    ReplyDelete