Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Easy Chairs and IVs

These things are in my future!

We just got done with a marathon session where we met the oncologist and previewed the new chemo digs. The oncologist (Dr. Y) is very serious and frank but in a comforting and thorough way. Sounds like I'm in it for the long haul here. My first chemo session will happen as soon as the insurance approves. Then I'll have chemo every three weeks for the next 18 weeks. That's the current plan...

I've got a few more tests in my future, but none sound quite as bad as that PET CT. I'll have an ultrasound of my heart to get a baseline before I start chemo. One of the drugs I'll be getting can damage the heart muscle, so I'll be getting these periodically. I'll also have a CAT scan of my liver also for a baseline before I start chemo. Thankfully PET CT's are too expensive to use as a routine check of how the cancer is responding to chemo, so I'll just be getting these every so often to check the kill rate.

I also got a script for a wig. Holy moly, I'm not sure I'm ready for that shit. Keith swears he's gonna shave his head in solidarity (I'll believe it when I see it).

The next decision is how to deal with work. I'm not sure yet what I want to do (or will be able to do). Ideally I'd keep working, but I don't think I'll be able to work full time for a while. Still figuring this part out, lots to consider.

Brain scan tomorrow, should be a party. It'd be nice to get some good news for a change and have this one be clear! Keep your fingers crossed.

As an aside Red (our dog) has been super well behaved. I think he knows something is up (what a love).

4 comments:

  1. If Keith shaves his head, I'll shave mine ....
    Mind you, I don't have nearly as much to loose ;-)
    Fingers crossed for sure! Best thoughts and well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't pray very often.... but I'll be praying today (to someone...) that you get good news.
    In terms of work, do put taking care of yourself as your first priority. You might even want to try one chemo session to see how you feel before making any decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo Ann's comment. Waves of good wishes and prayers are bucking the jet stream headed towards you. I've been having a chat with all the higher powers and great spirits.

    ReplyDelete