Friday, April 27, 2012

And We're Back...


Keith and I are back from a quick trip to the U.P. to see his family.  I was a little nervous about travelling so far given all that is going on with me, but it went fine.  Getting out of the city and visiting with family was just what we needed.  We rented the same cabin we rented at Christmas time.  It's a comfortable place tucked in the woods.  We both really appreciated getting out of our own heads for a while.

It was great to see everyone and I'm happy to report that Keith's mom is doing a lot better.  She has more energy and strength.  Almost a year after all this started, she isn't back to her old self, but she is making progress!

I'm feeling ok, my headaches aren't any worse.  All the sitting around I've been doing lately has made me stiff and sore.  (I'm not confident enough to do really long walks given my Tykerb gut - sorry if that's TMI).  I think I'll be able to figure out a routine now that I've been on Tykerb for a couple weeks.

Just another tidbit about my lame radiation oncologist- skip ahead if you're bored with this storyline:  I expected a call to schedule the brain MRI while we were away, but no...So on Wednesday morning I called my radiation oncologist and left a message.  I hadn't heard back by the end of the day, so I emailed her directly.  On Thursday she emailed me saying that her staff were having trouble getting me in.  The only appointment they could get was at the end of May and she was hoping to figure out how to get me in earlier.  Seemed weird to me, but ok.  I thought I'd wait and see.  Fast forward a couple hours...

I had an appointment with my medical oncologist yesterday and for the first time I saw her nurse practitioner instead.  Since I didn't have anything big to discuss it was fine and actually she gave us a lot of good advice.  She also took charge of scheduling my brain MRI after I mentioned it.  She ordered the MRI and on my way out I sat down with the scheduler.  It took a fax and a phone call, but I'm now scheduled for my MRI next Thursday afternoon.  It amazes me how efficiently some offices work while others are just a clusterfuck. I'm finally learning that I should just avoid dealing with the radiation oncology folks unless necessary.  After seeing the nurse practitioner and the lovely scheduler we went upstairs for my Herceptin drip.  That went smoothly- my new port works GREAT.  I love it!

To top the day off we headed over to the Off the Grid on Stanyon.  For those of you not in the know; Off the Grid is a gathering of some of the local food trucks.  Keith is sick for the Chairman Bao truck and yesterday I tried a bahn mi and some sweet potato tater tots from the Little Green Cyclo truck.  Keith's food was great as usual, the tater tots were really yummy and my sandwich was just ok.  It was a gorgeous and sunny early evening.  We loved topping off our afternoon of medical appointments with something treatful before we headed back into traffic to get home.  (Keith is getting pretty smarty-pants about lane choices prior to the bay bridge.  I don't know if it actually helps much, but at least we seem to keep moving forward...slowly...)

Animal update:
Diesel is fine.  She was back to her spunky self right away.  It was clear when I rescued her that Red had had his mouth on her (she had saliva on both sides of her rib cage), but he must have just mouthed her (thank goodness!).  I can't believe we have a dog that won't leave our cats alone!  When we adopted him they told us he would be fine with cats with a little work.  Well, we've tried.  If one of us is around we can keep it under control, but when left to his own devices, instinct takes over.  Ugh!

6 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get away and be somewhere else for a bit. Think your just proving that being persistent is still the best way to beat the system. Glad Diesel is fine, animal instincts can be a dangerous thing. Our cat keeps eyeing the guinea pig... Keep up the faith Eileen!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delighted to hear that Keith's mom is doing better. She's had a long seige, but not as long as you! I'm sure she appreciated the effort you made to get there. I'm sorry to hear that you're suffering from headaches and that the Tykerb gut is preventing you and Red (misguided cat chomper.....)from enjoying long walks. Is there anything you can take to help with those annoying problems? Hooray for the medical oncologist and her trusty staff! We'll be thinking of you on Thurs, fingers crossed that the MRI shows that the radiation did a good job. Wishing we had those great food trucks; we see the TV shows and they sound like delicious fun. love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. That’s great that you and Keith had an enjoyable trip to the U.P. I am sure that it was more than a bit worrisome to think about venturing out; glad to hear that it was uneventful and that you found Keith’s mom to be progressing.

    Hooray on the appointment front! Here’s hoping for squeaky clean scans!

    I hope that your headaches diminish and your gut symptoms become more manageable so that you can go out for an enjoyable and leisurely stroll.

    Take good care.
    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your trip to the UP went well seeing family, finding Keith's mom doing better, staying at your comfortable cabin and just generally being "off the ranch".
    I'm sorry to hear you still have your headaches, a Tykerb gut and feeling stiff and sore. Hope you and Red can get back on track with your usual longer walks.

    Sounds like your medical oncologist nurse practitioner is good & efficient about getting apts scheduled! We'll be thinking of you next Thursday afternoon; hoping for good scans.

    Those local food truck sound great!
    Love,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eileen- You are very brave to go to the UP! But, I'm so glad you and Keith were able to visit his folks and find his Mom doing better! I'm sure they really enjoyed your visit.
    Those food trucks sound like great fun and a lovely way to end a day of medical appointments. I'll be thinking of you on Thursday.
    Take good care. Love, ann
    P.S. Maybe you should take Diesel and Red for walks together... hmm..... I think that's what the Dog Whisperer would do....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fun trip to the UP - a change of pace and scenery. You were indeed brave to venture out. Hope you'll be able to figure out how to manage the meds and also get some nice long walks in, too. Glad to hear that the headaches are not worse, but I sure hope they will disappear. Most importantly we are all rooting for you to get some clear scans this Thursday! And you get a super big gold star for your persistence in arranging that MRI. It's hard to understand the wide divergence of success of the various offices. Truck food and a beautiful sunset sound like a perfect end to a stressful day.
    all our love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete