Saturday, April 7, 2012

So I Finally Saw the ENT and...


She told me that I'm deaf in my left ear. The good news is that despite feeling funny my right ear is fine. The other good news is that I should be able to get a hearing aid (of sorts) to help me. At the end of the appointment with the ENT, she gave me a referral to get fitted for a hearing aid. I headed over to make an appointment (all excited to get something to help)...and the first appointment they have is at the end of June (and that is just the introductory one, I wouldn't get the hearing aid for another two weeks). I told the receptionist I might cry, I was so disappointment it would take so long. I managed to hold it together, but holy shit! That is 3 months away. One of my goals for next week is to call around and see if there are other options that can get me in earlier. The only thing that makes is a little tricky is that the ENT was recommending a new fangled hearing aid for the type of hearing loss I have. This hearing aid isn't something everyone has because it was FDA approved only recently.

What else happened last week? I had the pleasure of hanging out with my sister. We ate our way around the East Bay, relaxed, walked the dog, did a little shopping and went to the city for appointments. I saw my oncologist on Tuesday - no big news there. She wrote me the prescription for Tykerb (I don't have it yet because you can't just pick that kind of drug up at the drug store, but I'll have it next week) and got me scheduled for Herceptin. Wednesday was the ENT debacle. Thursday, I had my Herceptin drip. The drip went smoothly. I have never had any significant side effects from Herceptin, until now. For now I'm blaming it on the fact that this was a loading dose and I think I was dehydrated. I had trouble sleeping Thursday night and when I got up I was sore all over. On Friday, Meg and I caught up with some of my Science Department colleagues for a drink and some macaroni and cheese. They delivered the sweetest quilt (pictured), more cards and a luxurious gift from a group of parents.

What comes next? I will start up the Tykerb at 1/3 the dose of the trial (so I'm hoping it'll feel easy, we'll see). More relaxing. Calling around to find a place that can get me in so I might be able to hear things happening on my left, before July.

9 comments:

  1. That really is the sweetest quilt! I especially like the Eileenium square. Super bummer about the two-month wait--that's the most frustrating thing about health care sometimes. The first time I saw a psychiatrist, I was horribly depressed, barely functioning, and when I called to make the appointment, they told me they couldn't get me in for something like six weeks. I DID cry. I hope they can figure something out to get you in there sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eileen- Thanks for the update,as always. So sorry that your frustration with getting help for your hearing problem continues... two more months is a long time to wait! That quilt is so cute, and very special. I hope your next dose of Herceptin goes without side effects and that starting up the Tykerb goes smoothly.
    Happy Easter to you and Keith! Love, ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Easter, Eileen and Keith! Thanks for the update and the photo of the quilt, which is WONDERFUL. I got a good chuckle out of "pick up after yourself" when I jacked the image up to 300%, but could only see part of it then. Golly, what frustration on the new-fangled hearing aid front. Maybe you should have cried?! Fingers crossed that the Herceptin aches have disappeared and won't return, and that the smaller dose of Tykerb causes no or very few side effects. Hoping that Mr E Bunbuns leaves a delicious chocolate egg for you, love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila - That "pick up after yourself" is from the custodians! I got a good chuckle from that one too!
    E.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eileen, Call the ear people every day checking for a cancellation. Bet you get in earlier!
    Love and many good prayers and energy. Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your quilt is amazing on so many levels! You should be very, very flattered!! It’s hard to know if you should use it or hang it in a place of prominence! Maybe you can alternate and do both.

    I am so sorry to hear about your extreme hassles in getting an appointment for your hearing aid!! I hope that you are able to snag a cancellation.

    I hope that you continue to find fun and interesting things to keep you occupied!

    Take care.
    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I had a chance to read through your blog and found it to be very inspiring and insightful. I hope the sabre tooth tiger tooth will help. It sounds like it has some magical powers.

    Our organization, Mesothelioma Center, just finished up a batch of interviews with mesothelioma cancer survivors and published them on our site: http://www.asbestos.com/mesothelioma/wall-of-hope.php. Their stories provided me with a lot of perspective on what it must be like to be battling this disease. Maybe you can find them rewarding as well. I'd love the chance to get in touch with some other survivors for opportunities to share their story as well.
    Maybe you can help us spread mesothelioma cancer awareness by posting some quality information on your blog. Let’s work together to spread as much cancer awareness as we can!

    Best Regards,
    Mike Postorino
    Mesothelioma Center
    mpostorino@asbestos.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. (Sorry my dog looks like a goat...the quilt did turn out great, didn't it.)

    I agree with one of the other comments - call everyday and ask if there have been any cancellations for the hearing aide. They will then maybe get you something sooner...

    Let's walk next Friday after school if you don't have an appointment AND if it's not raining....???
    Take care!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice quilt they made for you! If you inform some of these ENT's that have time availability about the newly approved hearing aid they should be able to order it in for you unless they are back-ordered. Praying and hoping that you get the support you deserve!

    ReplyDelete