Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Crazy!

So I had an appointment with my radiation oncologist on Monday. I told her I still have some fleeting pain in my head; not really headaches, but pain nonetheless. I thought she'd say "...it's probably just tumors shrinking.." yada yada. Instead she was concerned enough to order my followup MRI. Last time we talked she said she'd order the MRI 8 weeks after radiation ended. Now it'll be more like 6 weeks by the time it gets scheduled. Not a huge difference, but it gets my mind in that fearful scan mode. yuck.

As if in an effort to get my mind off things, the animals decided to create some major drama yesterday! I was in a cleaning frenzy, and in my frenzy I left the pet gate open and Diesel got outside (our cats are both indoor cats, Hayward is happy that way, Diesel always wants to explore). The problem here is that Red was outside! (We keep the cats and Red separated at all times because Red, essentially, wants to eat cats....despite the shelter telling us that he'd be ok with cats.). I heard a ruckus and hustled out to the yard to find Diesel cornered and cowering and Red barking going after her. I got them separated, screeched at Red and brought him inside. Then I went back and got Diesel. She seemed fine, but there was definitely saliva on her from the dog. I looked her over pretty carefully- nothing was bleeding or sensitive, but I decided to take her to the vet just to be safe. I took her in, and the vet thought her lungs sounded funky and wanted to keep Diesel so they could do x-rays and keep an eye on her. So, I left her there and went home and waited by the phone for news. Later in the afternoon I talked to the vet and found out that Diesel seemed fine. Her lungs were sounding normal and we could go get her at closing time. The only hitch was that Diesel was a "hard stick" (just like me!) so they wanted to leave her catheter in overnight, just in case. How bad can that be right? Ugh.

We picked her up, brought her home and she immediately went after the bandage over the catheter. We turned around, headed back to the vet (thankfully they don't close on time) and got Diesel a cone. Case closed, right? Oh no.... Diesel spent the entire night banging the cone around. She never got comfortable (and neither did we). Fast forward to this morning; we went back to the vet for a quick check, everything looked fine and the catheter is out (and more importantly the cone is off!). Geez! If that doesn't make my head hurt I don't know what will.

7 comments:

  1. Eileen, your kids actually made mine look easier today. Miss you at work. Lots of love going your way right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the pets' scheme to divert you from worrying about the upcoming scan was a great success. Logistics around your house must get complicated to keep Red and the kitties separated - don't suppose there's any way to help them be friends?? I'm so sorry to learn that you're suffering from head pain - is there anything you can take to alleviate the pain, if not the worry? Fingers crossed & worrying along with you, love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. I am very sorry to hear of your continuing head pain and the suggestion of pushing up the next MRI. All limbs crossed for excellent results!

    Wow, you have your hands full with your feisty petting zoo- just one bad boy spoils the zoo! I hope everyone gets a better night’s sleep tonight.

    Take good care.
    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh darn, but those pets don't give you a moment to rest! Red needs some help on the canine-feline manners front. What a bummer that you are having head pain - best to get that follow-up MRI sooner than later. Hope that your scan is soon and that the results are great so that you all can rest easy. Lots of love,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pets are great, aren't they.... How about calling in the Dog Whisperer?? I loved your story.
    Let us know when your next scan is, and we'll all be sending our very best energy your way.
    Take good care. Love, ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eileen,
    What a day you had with your loving pets! Amazing how one little oversight can multiply into so many little crises and lead to a sleep deprived night for you and Keith!
    I'm so sorry to hear of your head pain. Do let us know when the next scan will be.
    Love,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eileen,
    Hope the head pain has subsided and the MRI comes back with good news! Have a nice long scratch from my cat Freda, after she escaped this weekend. Maybe a feline conspiracy. Appreciate the updates and sharing. As always our thoughts are with you and support you with all our hearts.

    ReplyDelete