Monday, April 30, 2012

Sorry I can't hear you... yet!

Had an appointment to discuss hearing aids today.  By luck or good planning my audiologist has single sided hearing loss (like me) and has tried the new fangled hearing aid that was recommended by the folks at UCSF.  She liked it, but at the moment anyway she wears a different type of hearing aid.  After talking to her about the different options, I've decided to try the type of device she uses.  It's called a CROS device (contralateral routing of signals).  Basically there will be a receiver in my deaf ear that will transmit sound to a device in my good ear.  The benefit of this option is that I get a 60 day trial period; if I hate it, I can return it for a refund.  The other benefit is that it will be completely covered by insurance.

The other option is called a SoundBite.  It consists of a receiver in the deaf ear that will transmit sound to a device that fits around your back teeth.  The sound is then carried in the bones of your skull and is detected by the good ear.  The downsides of this option is that is so new it may or may not be covered by insurance, the cost of this option is about $8000, the battery only holds a charge for 5-6 hrs and it takes a lot longer to get one.

My decision seemed pretty easy- I'll try out the CROS, see if I like it.  If I hate it, I can return it and maybe then I'll try the SoundBite.  I'm just excited to be making some progress.  Next Thursday I have an appointment to get fitted for my hearing aid.  Here's hoping it works!

Next up... my scan on Thursday.  I'm really hoping I'll get the results on Friday, but that might be pushing it.

6 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have found (even if by coincidence) an audiologist who has single sided hearing loss - talk about an empathetic health care provider! It would be interesting to try the Soundbite - kinda like getting those messages from aliens through your fillings, eh? But the CROS sounds like a safer bet. Hoping it works really well. We'll be sending powerful, positive wishes for good scan results and that they be delivered to you on Fri. love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is some coincidence! Yes, I can imagine that it was a fairly easy decision to make. The SoundBite is pricey and a bit un-nerving! I hope that CROS is effective and just your ticket.

    All limbs crossed for the Thursday scans!

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you're making progress on the hearing aid front. They have amazing technology these days! Hope the CROS works well for you.
    We'll be with you in spirit on Thursday. As Jane said.... with all limbs crossed!
    Take good care. Love,
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! You've made good progress on the hearing front! I hope you'll like the CROS and find it immediately helpful. However, I could imagine that any hearing aid might take a little time to get used to it.
    We'll be thinking of you on Thursday, hoping the scan is good and that you can get your results on Friday. Waiting for results is no fun.
    Love,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you and hoping that you get the scan results today and that those results are really good. love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Eileen,
    Yes, I've been thinking of you as well today and yesterday. Hope there is good news on the scans. Good for you, getting the ball rolling on the hearing aid. I hope the CROS works well for you. That would be wonderful. love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete