Thursday, May 24, 2012

Can't Seem to Catch a Break

So, my left shoulder has been bugging me for the last month or so.  It felt like a pinched nerve or tense muscles, something I'd felt before, so I was going to wait it out but it just didn't go away.  After talking with my oncologist about it, she wasn't too concerned- she gave me a referral to physical therapy and an MRI just to be sure.  Well, I had the MRI yesterday and today my medical oncologist (my main doc) called.  There is cancer in the lining of my spinal cord.  My medical oncologist is surprised and disappointed.  I am too, I really didn't think this MRI was going to show anything but a pinched nerve, urgh.

My medical oncologist has a call into my radiation oncologist.  She wants to know if it's feasible to do some radiation to relieve the pain.  If so, I'd get radiated and then I would start a trial of a chemo designed to target central nervous system metastases.  I should hear back from my medical oncologist tomorrow or early next week.  As usual, I'm anxious to finalize "the plan".   Until I know what comes next I need to remember I'm still feeling good.  In fact I got the call while taking good old Red for a trot.


4 comments:

  1. Dear, dear Eileen- I am so very sorry to hear your latest discouraging news. You really haven't caught a break in a long time. I just don't know how to express my feelings.... My heart goes out to you and Keith, and I truly admire how you are traveling this very rough journey with such grace. Enjoy each day that you are feeling good.
    Love to you and Keith, ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Eileen, what very discouraging news. As Ann has said above, words fail to come to help me express how sad I am to hear of this latest #$@%!! bit of cancer popping up where you least expected it. I hope that you'll get a plan for some radiation to relieve the pressure(?) that's causing you pain. A big but gentle hug from us and wishing there were something I could do to help, love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to echo what Ann and Sheila have expressed. Words just fail!! I am so, so sorry to hear your news. And, yes, your grace leaves me speechless. I hope that you are able to figure out a plan of some sort. Although I don’t know how you put one foot in front of the other, plans are good! I hope that you are able to find a couple of enjoyable things to keep you occupied this weekend. Hugs and kisses to you all.

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Eileen, you are such a treasure; always looking on the bright side ('still feeling good and enjoying walks with Red'). Bless you and your ability to see the positive. Here's hoping that you have a plan of action very soon; plans give you something to work on and from. Hope you can find some good movies/entertainment for this long weekend. Lots of love and hugs for you and Keith, Ellen

    ReplyDelete