Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Do What Feels Good and Makes You Happy

The title is a quote from the new doctor on my team (my symptom management doctor).  The focus now is on keeping me comfortable.  I'm not stopping treatment, but I definitely have more symptoms from cancer and all the drugs I'm taking than I've ever had before.  My legs are ridiculously weak, even with all my walking I'm having trouble getting around.  If you see me, I'll probably have my hiking poles (and if not watch out!).  I take a while to get up from the seat and God forbid I have to get up from the floor... that takes a lot of work.  I'm pretty bummed about all that because I've worked so hard to stay pretty active and that's getting harder.  It isn't impossible and I'm still managing to get 2+ miles in each day, but I'm a lot slower lately.  I just don't know how much longer I can keep it up.  We asked the symptom management doctor if I should, for instance, try to strengthen my legs somehow, like maybe work them out.  He replied that if working out makes me happy, then go for it....but if it's never been a pleasure for me before, then don't.  Basically; only do things that make me feel good and feel happy.  Anyway, fingers crossed that things stabilize or even get a little better.


I have a pretty light appointment week (a nice change).  Other than my symptom management doc and an appointment at the DMV, I'm free!  That makes more time for catching up with friends and spending time with the family that has come to town.  It was sad to send my sister back east last night, but this afternoon, my mom, two aunts and an uncle arrived!  They're here for a little bit to visit us and do a little exploring in the Bay Area (tomorrow they're off to Muir Woods).  I haven't seen my aunts and uncle in so long, it is wonderful to have them here.



I finally took the plunge and got a handicap placard.  It isn't that I can't get around at all, but it sure will be nice to park close (and free street parking).  Haven't really put it to use yet, but am looking forward to it (especially at Whole Foods in Oakland - I am done hauling groceries up those fucking stairs!!).



I'm late reporting this (self-centered):  Several weeks ago Keith took a leave from work to hang with me (drive me to my many appointments, deal with the animals, take care of the house, take care of me, etc.).  The fact that this is even a possibility is a godsend.  We feel very lucky that he works at a GREAT place with so much support.  In fact, today his manager came by with a card FILLED with well wishes and generous gift certificates to our favorite spots.  All this shit is hard, but it would be so much harder if we didn't have such support and love.  Thank you!!


7 comments:

  1. Eileen,

    My thoughts are with you, sounds like great advice from the symptom manager... I was listening to Jimmy Valvano's speech at the ESPY's and I thought about you. Wanted to share some of his speech: To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

    "Cancer can take away all my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart and it cannot touch my soul. And those three things are going to carry on forever."

    Yes I contributed and gladly .. I hate this disease!! The Jimmy V foundation is "Don't give up, don't ever give up." Eileen you personify this spirit and inspire us. Hugs and all the support we can muster!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear your updates. I love your doctor's philosophy, and I'm glad to hear he's a positive addition to your team. Glad you're able to enjoy time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eileen
    Thanks for the post with the wonderful photo of you and Meg and of course the great one of Red with the gift cards and well wishes - perhaps Red's dreaming of which treats he'd like to enjoy!
    What an incredible gal you are, keeping going doing some of the things that you enjoy.
    So glad Keith can take time off work.
    Thinking of you and Keith all the time sending our love,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post and photos! Terrific photo of you & Meg, and the Redster. Red is a smart boy; keep close to, and keep an eye on, those gift certificates!
    I am so sorry that you are seeing increasing negative side effects. This is very hard. But you are amazingly strong and resourceful. And, it sounds like your symptoms doc is very helpful and sensible.

    Take care.
    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eileen,
    Great newsy update. I don't know how you manage to keep up with the blog with all you have to do. Thanks, we appreciate hearing from you. Good to hear that the management doc is a good addition to the team. You are just amazing doing 2+ miles- slowly or not that is no small feat! Congrats on your will power & determination. Wonderful to hear that you can park right up front. You deserve that.
    What great friends from Keith's work to shower you with love and gifts. Glad Keith can take time off to hang with you. Lots of love and looking forward to seeing you soon. Love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s so nice when family visits, isn’t it? Having those people close during hard times is a huge blessing. Enjoy your time with them all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! ROCK STAR PARKING! Can not think of anyone better to have it. ENJOY! Sure beats lugging groceries. Huge hugs to you all in SF. Love Robyn

    ReplyDelete