Saturday, July 21, 2012

Getting Hospiced

Holy cow getting hospice organized is an intense experience.  At the same time as my disease is progressing day by day we are seeing all sorts of folks trying to get my care organized.  There's lots of weeping and lots of processing and we're still catching up on the surrealness of it all.  It's hard....nearing impossible.

We have seen so many people I have lost count.  Thankfully, by and large they've been helpful and kind. The one I couldn't stand won't be back (not sure if she caught me in the wrong mood or what, but I can deal with most people- especially after years of teaching!  My advice to any hospice intake nurse - never talk to a newly signed up hospice patient about their chubby steroid face, suicide and dead patients when you are just meeting them - just be warm and supportive!).

Update on my condition...
I can't walk at all.  I'm bed or wheelchair bound.
I can't feel or move my legs.
I'm numb pretty much from my chest down.
I'm back to being fully deaf in my left ear.
So far the thinker is still good (thank goodness!)
My arms are weak and there is some numbness in my left arm (not new), but arms are still working.
My pain is well controlled.
My appetite is still good and I'm still enjoying food as always :).
I'm a little worried about my lungs, but I'm still breathin', just not kickin'!

Things are changing a little each day and not in the right direction, so who knows what tomorrow brings.  Fingers crossed it is ice cream, not more symptoms.

We have been treated to lots of visits from my family!  All my aunts have made it out here along with some uncles and even a cousin.  In some cases it had been years since we'd seen each other, so it has been really wonderful, and heartwarming to get a chance to catch up.

Keith and I and my mom are muddling through right now.  Things should get easier next week because we've hired some extra help to come in the morning to give Keith a bit of a respite.  They'll be someone here on the weekdays to help get me up and ready for the day, do some light chores and give Keith a chance to do something (get a break from this nightmare!).

On a happier note, thank you to everyone who has sent messages of support!  We're so lucky to have great friends- old, new, near and far.  I feel lucky to get to read these beautiful notes saying such nice things about me.

I really wish everyone had a chance to hear such amazing things about themselves, but geeze do I really have you all fooled!  I was a hard working teacher, who is amazingly lucky to have met the perfect and most wonderful man, watched too much garbage on the TV, liked to eat good food and could easily have turned into a crazy cat lady (thanks for keep a tight reign k).

To the local folks who have offered help, thank you!  It is often hard to know what we need, we're just trying to keep the wheels on the cart as it barrels down this very bumpy road.  Any emotional support is huge and any other help you can think of is appreciated- we probably won't know that we needed the help until after you do it!

12 comments:

  1. Dear Eileen,
    No, you don't have us fooled. With hard work, good self-awareness, and brains you found a career that you enjoyed and were really good at, and helped a lot of kids and parents. And you found great love, perhaps with a little luck and definitely with lots and lots of lovable characteristics!!
    I am in awe of how bravely and thoughtfully you have traveled this very bumpy road at ever increasing speeds. It is incredibly unfair, and although you are angry, you have faced so much pain, unpleasant treatments, and disabling symptoms directly and with such grace and intelligence. Not everyone would be dealing with things so well.
    I really enjoyed my visit with you and Keith and those memories will stay with me forever, especially my mental picture of you walking briskly into your living room using your new walker with such a big smile on your face! I wish I were closer so I could be of more help.
    With love and support from afar,
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definately not fooled, we as humans are fallable,but your grace under pressure is nothing but courageous!! You've made decisions through out your life that make up who you are and what you believe.. some affirmed and some you learned from..but you were always moving forward. The love everyone feels, the sadness of the cancer, the admiration of your will and intellect are just a piece of who you are and always will be in our hearts and minds! Love always to an amazing person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann has said everything that's in my heart so well - how awestruck I have been at the courage, intelligence and personal power with which you've fought this awful cancer, how thoughtful you and Keith have been to keep us updated, and what a wonderful love story yours and Keith's is. There's just one little detail that we need to get straight --- I'm not so sure it was just luck that brought you and Keith together. You're 'drop dead' gorgeous (sorry but it's the only way to describe your looks)so I strongly suspect that Keith was completely bowled over. Of course, it probably didn't take long before he realized how smart and funny you are. We thank both you and Keith for the time you spent with us on our visit. Golly, I wish I were closer so I could pop in to do chores for you. Only a plane ride away, so don't hesitate to call for reinforcements from the north. You're in our thoughts all the time, love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen,

    Thanks for the update. I am so very sorry that things are getting increasingly bleak at a rapid clip. In signature fashion you demur, but I know that I and others were/are not being hyperbolic in singing your praises in recent posts and notes. You are truly, truly in so many respects (and drop dead gorgeous, as well!) OK, I will stop embarrassing you, for now!!

    Please don’t hesitate to contact any of us, for assistance. I know that’s it is impossible to anticipate, but the offer stands.

    Thinking of you all of the time!
    Much love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my...here I was going to see if you could go on another dog walk...what a jerk I am for not checking your blog sooner. i just remember our last walk and hoped for another one....This last bit has been quick Rohmer and I am so sorry, but like others have said so much better your courage, stregnth, poise, humor, etc have been an inspiration. I am so mad and sad for you. Damn, damn, damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lots of hugs to you and Keith and your family and to Red. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. What other sees and what you see may be different, but it all matters. You've touched so many and continue to do so day after day. Thinking of you and wishing you and your family the best. Keep eating that lovely food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our dearest Eileen,
    I'm always glad to hear from you; I only wish I could be of more help. Even on these dark days of sadness, you take the time to keep in touch with us. Thank you! We are all with you in spirit.
    I hope that all of our visits did not wear you down too much. Golly, you have had an awfully full schedule getting hospiced. Now, I hope your schedule slows down and the bumpy ride smooths out for you. Wishing that you get the best nurse ever tomorrow - one that is kind, gentle, and caring. You deserve the best. Lots of love, Ellen, Robert & Meaghan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found out about your battle. I feel terrible that I haven't known about this in the past few years and I didn't send you any encouragement or support. I admire you, Eileen. You are an amazing woman. Maybe this will make you smile...remember "Six girls in a Volvo" way back at NHS? I am saying prayers. Love, LeeAnn Prete

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Eileen,
    I did not know you at all before you began your blog. Your sister, yes – your Mom, yes – but not you and not Keith. Thank you for sharing the amazing woman that you are, as well as the wonderful man who is your partner and best friend. You are an awesome couple and although this life has not been fair to you at all, your joyfulness over the simple, beautiful things of life – a wildflower, a walk, a lunch, a kind nurse, have given us all a fresh awareness of the value of the ordinary. Your intelligence, grace, thoughtfulness, and positive courage throughout, have made you a role model for all of us.
    I wish you peace in your heart and love. One does not know what the days ahead hold. Have faith in a good God. My love and prayers to you, Eileen, Keith, Maureen, and Meg. Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have never met, but please know that your words are both powerful and profound. You have touched so many....I hope you get alot more ice cream. Just know that your extended family has you, and Keith in mind & heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your postings. I admire your dignity and grace ... in all weather. Thanks for the cap. I think of you both whenever I wear it. It's a little warm here, but I think I will wear it today.

      Delete
  11. Dear Eileen

    We have never met but I do know your husband and you seem to be fighting this with all of your heart and soul and you seem like you were a very hard working person at one time. I am very glad you and Keith are able to spend as much time together as you can and I admire your dignity and grace. Keep your head high.

    ReplyDelete