Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Heart Rate

The last several days I've noticed that my heart has been beating very fast. It makes me feel caffeinated and a little edgy. Given the fact that Herceptin sometimes causes damage to your heart muscle, I was worried. So when I went in for my drip today and my heart was still going really fast I asked the nurses about it. They thought it was ok, but they called the doctor in. I talked it through with the doctor, she listened to my heart (which had settled down by this point). Everything sounded ok to her, but to be sure she ordered an EKG. Within about 10 minutes I had an EKG and my heart looks normal (what a relief!). I'll get an appointment with the cardiologist to have an echocardiogram. I had one of those before I started chemo and it is just about time to check and make sure everything is still looking good.

In other news, my liver enzymes are looking much better this week. This is especially surprising since I'm just a week out from chemo. I figure it is a good sign.

Next week will be a big week. I'm going in for a CT Scan of my liver to see how it is responding to the chemo. Fingers crossed that things look as good there as they do in my breast!

All my stress over this stuff has made me realize how important it is for me to find ways to relax. Walking the dog, meditating and taking a bath before bed have all gone a long way to keeping me sane! I need to keep making time for all that stuff (and more).

After being sick for more than 2 weeks, off and on, Keith finally went to the doctor today. Turns out he's not contagious anymore, he might have had more than one cold, but he's gonna be ok. I just feel better knowing he's gotten checked out. His doc said it could be another week or so but he should start clearing up. He needs to rest up so he can be a good host to his folks, who are coming out for a visit in less than 2 weeks!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the report! Glad to hear that you had good news on your heart rate and liver. I hope next week brings more good news!! And, I hope that Keith is truly on the mend.

    Yes, it's an annoyingly axiomatic (and then some!!), but seriously, so true that you have to take time to relax (dammit!!). You know the drill; hope you continue to find time to follow through.

    Take good care.

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is scary when the old (or not so old) ticker doesn't seem to be behaving properly. Glad to hear that the EKG showed normal heart function, and that the liver enzymes look better even though it's been dealing with chemo chemicals!! Fingers crossed that the echocardiogram & CT scan show good results, too. Unbelievable stress you're under!! Good for you to take the time for stress relief strategies - I find the gentle voice of the yoga teacher reminding us to let those thoughts go helpful..... Good wishes bucking the headwinds as they travel west, S,L & purrs from Nona.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings Eileen from Boston,

    I've been following your blog without commenting, but rejoicing in all your good news, but today I couldn't resist telling you that the Ladies #1 Detective Agency also has several episodes on DVD that Fran and I got from Netflix. I had read the books and found the DVD episodes just great. My only regret was that there weren't more than nine of them!

    I'm off in an hour or so to meet your mother for lunch in Sturbridge. It will be great to celebrate your accomplishments as well as Fran's and to hope for a good rest of the journey for both of you. He has his surgery on Monday.

    Much love, Ann (Grady)

    ReplyDelete