Thursday, April 1, 2010

Miso Soup!

So my sister Meg arrived yesterday from the East Coast to keep me company this week. I was a little worried about the weather cooperating, but there were no problems (hopefully her return trip will be as easy!).

I'm tired, probably more tired than last round. Or maybe I'm just less keyed up because I have some idea of what to expect. Who knows... I am happy to report I have managed to get my horrible heart burn under control with some drugs! That makes me a happier camper and I think as a result I'm eating a little better this time around. Meg and I made some delicious miso soup with udon noodles and some veggies last night. I can't believe I've never made miso soup at home before. So easy- once you get the miso paste you're pretty much set!

Here's the recipe (I'll note my changes):
Udon with Shiitake Mushrooms and Kale in Miso Broth - From Vegonomicon
1/2 pound of udon noodles (I used the fresh ones you can get at the grocery store, but dry would work too)
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 medium sized red onion, sliced into thin half moons (we only used about 1/2 an onion)
4 ounces of shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced (we went a little heavy on the mushrooms).
(3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced - these were our addition and they were yummy if I don't say so myself)
3 cloves of garlic (we used 2 large cloves and that was plenty for me)
2 teaspoons of ginger, minced
2 tablespoons of mirin (we didn't have any so this was left out)
2 cups of water
3 tablespoons of miso (more if you're using light or mellow miso)
4 cups of chopped kale (we used swiss chard form the farm box instead, I think any hearty green would work)
2 teaspoons of soy sauce
We added a cup or so of mushroom stock because we wanted a more soupy meal...

  1. If you're working with dry udon, cook it according to the package directions. If you've got fresh udon, don't do anything yet!
  2. Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion and mushrooms (and carrots if you're including them) in the oil for 5 - 7 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender an onions are softened but still have some crunch (we didn't need all that much time, so keep an eye on things).
  3. Add the mirin, water, and miso and bring to a gentle boil (this is where we added the mushrooms stock). If you're using fresh udon add it in now. Lower the heat to a simmer and add the kale (or chard).
  4. When the kale is wilted you're ready to serve up!

notes: Next time I'll play around with my veggies...I think snow peas, or just regular peas would be a good addition. If you're feeling like adding some protein, tofu or some chicken would be a yummy addition.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Eileen,
    Thanks for the recipe; it has inspired me to make miso soup. I've only eaten it out but it sounds easy. Hope good chats with Meg will keep your mind off the aches and pains.

    Glad you decided to get some help with getting sleep. (comment on the last blog)

    I've been off-line at a conference in Philly and then Meaghie and I went down to Va Beach for a few days to see the sights. It was warmer in Madison than in VA, but we enjoyed a few days at the beach with our polar fleece and wind breakers.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you've got treatment #2 behind you. I've been thinking of you this week as we pack. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The miso soup sounds delicious. Have a great visit with Meg -- please tell her I say hello!

    Thinking of you as you soldier through these treatments. Oh, and I love the blog!

    -Kathleen

    ReplyDelete