Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Back on the Special Sauce

So yesterday I went to work for four hours or so, headed home for a quick lunch and then I headed to chemo. My mom came with me to keep me company for my 4 hour visit at the cancer center. Here's how it works:
  1. Drop the car with the valet (the nicest guys!).
  2. Sign in at the front.
  3. Get port accessed and blood drawn.
  4. Wait for results of blood draw.
  5. Go back to infusion room and was treated to my very favorite nurse, Valerie!
  6. Start the premeds dripping. Get drowsy from the Benedryl.
  7. Start the Taxotere (1hr). Have a visit with my oncologist. She's pleased with the news from the pulmonologist. She tells me I don't need to take steroids this time around! Yippee! This means better sleeping.
  8. Start the Carboplatin (1hr). Have a visit with my nutritionist. She suggested I try cooking up some "Magical Mineral Broth" to keep me healthy.
  9. Start the Herceptin (1/2hr).
  10. Get unhooked and get my car from valet
  11. Head home.
After those four hours we went home, had some dinner, walked Red, and sat on the couch (actually I fell asleep on the couch).

Today I'm feeling pretty well. I had my breast MRI this morning and then my Neulasta shot (helps the WBC counts) this afternoon. My mom cooked up a pot of "Magical Mineral Broth" and some yummy risotto.

I'm looking forward to a day with no appointments tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Eileen - what a good way to explain what these visits to the infusion center are like. It's complicated stuff. So glad you got your favorite nurse! What does she do that is so much more helpful than others? We're cheering for those killer chemo chemicals to do their work!! love, S, L & N

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that it went relatively smoothly this time. Fingers and toes crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much for your detailed update. It is great that you enjoy all of the staff people, that really does make a difference.

    I hope that you had an enjoyable and easy day today, filled with just the right mix of walks, naps, and healthy treats!

    Take good care.

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen,
    That's quite a routine at the infusion center - seems like an efficient way to get to talk to everyone. Hope the chemicals are fast-acting and powerful, wiping out that nasty rash. Hmm, Magical Mineral Broth? sounds like good bone soup.

    Hope California is serving up some good weather for you and your mom. Hope you can enjoy another couple of appointment-free days. Rooting for you, Love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete