Friday, May 6, 2011

Done With This Round of Chemo!


I didn't finish all six, but apparently doing 5 of 6 is good enough for everyone. I saw my doc at UCSF yesterday and my local doc today and both agree that I've had enough and one more dose is not going to make or break anything. I'm tired and done with that crap.

Keith and I had an interesting talk with my UCSF oncologist. She (like every oncologist I've seen - that's 3 at this point) doesn't think a mastectomy is a good option. She thinks we need to wait and see what the MRI looks like. If there is next to nothing left, she'd suggest I get a lumpectomy and radiation. If there is measurable disease, then she suggested a trial they're doing at UCSF. They're testing an already approved drug for HER2+ breast cancer to see if it is more effective at higher doses. It is a targeted therapy so it should be easier than chemo, but it still has side effects (GI issues and skin rashes are the most common). I would be highly monitored during the trial, which is intriguing. I love the sciencey aspect of someone looking at the cancer cells prior to treatment and after treatment to see if this drug is working. At least it sounds more satisfying than waiting for months and doing a scan. There is no promise that this trial might cure me, but I will learn whether my particular cancer cells are sensitive to this drug and if the side effects get bad I can always quit.

Today I talked over all that and more with my local oncologist and she is on board. She is concerned about side effects, but she told me that the side effects go away once you stop taking the drug, so I'm not risking too much there. She also told me that she was leaving the practice here. She is taking a job at Kaiser-Permanente and will be working with her husband. I'm sad to see her leave because I trust her but it sounds like a good switch for her. Really, her leaving almost makes it easier to consider the trial. I would get all my care at UCSF while on trial and while I hate the 45 minute trek to San Francisco (vs. 10 minutes to Berkeley) I trust (and like) my doctor over there.

So the plan of surgery is in question. I'm not sure what to hope for. I mean, I'd love for the cancer to be so small that a lumpectomy would work- but if I have surgery, my summer is pretty much shot between surgery and radiation (daily for 4-6 weeks starting 4 weeks after surgery). The idea of having daily appointments for most of the summer makes the trial more tempting. So I guess the take away point is there is an upside to either option. Regardless, the MRI is scheduled for next Thursday and we have to see that before we take another step.

In other news, the doctors in Duluth think Keith's mom has Myesthenia Gravis. From what we've read it is a chronic but generally manageable thing. The good news is that she seems to be doing a little better these days. Today she even managed to eat! She hasn't had anything to eat (except via a feeding tube) for almost two weeks. This is a huge step that gets her a lot closer to getting out of the hospital!

4 comments:

  1. Wow.... lots of news. Thanks for the update and the wonderful picture of you and Keith! A clinical trial would be fun (hypothetically....) and I'm sure you would get very good care. I hope for the very, very best treatment for you, whatever that is.
    So glad that Keith's mom is showing some improvement... I'll have to look up Myesthenia Gravis.
    Love to you and Keith,
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the detailed report and photo, excellent picture! Yes, a lot of news!

    As always, you have an amazingly grounded and positive take on things. Not easy!

    Seriously, it is nice to see the potential pluses for the possible options. And, it’s great that you like the folks at UCSF. I hope that next week’s scan is informative and makes the decision easy.

    And, hooray for Keith’s mom! I am happy to hear the good news. What a relief to have a specific diagnosis and signs of improvement. Whew!

    Hope you area able to get in some enjoyable walk time with Red this weekend.

    Take good care.

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to see you and Keith on the blog. Giving that 6th chemo blast a miss is a good reason to smile! Like Jane, I hope that the results of the MRI scan next week make the choice of next step perfectly clear. Whatever that step is, I hope you and Keith can insert a plan for some good summer vacation fun into the schedule. There's nobody who needs that more! Can your contacts at UCSF help you find / transfer to a new oncologist?

    Wonderful that Keith's mom has a diagnosis and is able to eat a bit now. Given what I've just read about Myesthenia Gravis, it's understandable that it's taken so long to diagnose. Fingers crossed that she responds well & quickly to the treatment they choose for her.
    love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the newsy report and the Great picture of you two! You look like you've got tons of energy (pictures must lie with all that you two have been through the last few weeks). What a maze of medical info to try to figure out and then make decisions about the next best step. Lucky you've got the UCSF oncologist on staff; having two opinions all along the way should decisions easier (at least it seems that way from afar). Good luck with the MRI this week.
    I hope Keith's mom is making good progress. Hugs and love to you both, Ellen

    ReplyDelete