Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Eating is Good

So through this whole thing I haven't had any appetite at all (a real strange thing for me!). Today I had the nausea under control enough (with an increase dose of Zofran) that I actually ate. Nothing huge, but I ate more than toast and crackers for the first time since Saturday. Between eating more and that extra Zofran I have kept nausea at bay most of today. I can't say the same for the diarrhea, but that is to be expected.

I think the reason this shit seems so hard is that I wasn't expecting it to be so bad. When I did chemo I was ready for it to be terrible. I read up and got lots of advice on how to deal with side effects. This time around the doctor wasn't even sure I'd need to take off work. I don't know if that's because people have such different reactions or because most people with Stage IV breast cancer aren't working or there are just so few people getting this dose of the drug. Whatever it is, I wasn't prepared and that has made it seem much worse.

On a positive note, it's very satisfying to cross off all the little pictures of pills and shots on my log! I'm more than halfway there on this round, and hopefully we can dial things in a little better the next time.

Keith's mom didn't get worse today so that's great news at this point. He's booking another flight to MN as I type. We're assuming that I'll be in much better shape after a couple days of no pills.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that you're having such an awful time with this 1st go at Tykerb, and it hits you harder when you weren't expecting it. It sounds like the classic horrors of chemo, and Tykerb wasn't supposed to be like that. Sure hope this experience has helped the docs figure out the proper dosages for you so that next time will be a LOT better!! Glad you could eat something-you need the pleasure and the nutrition.

    Expecting to hear a little 'whoopee' drifiting in from the west as you finish the pills & shots today (?) and hoping that Keith's visit will bring a boost to his mom. love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you're feeling a little bit better and can eat something. Here's hoping that the next round will be much, much easier! and that Keith's mom sees improvement very soon.
    Love,
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that things feel a little bit more under control, although far from easy. Yes, it is a measure of the toughness of this regime that you look back longingly (well, that’s a stretch, but you get my drift!) at you chemo! I hope that at least in some respects, things get a bit easier in the next round. And, I hope that you have an enjoyable 9 nine days- less time spent in the bathroom and more time spent eating!

    Best wishes to Keith, his mom, et al!

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, but you've been having a rough time with this Tykerb!! The docs need to figure out the dialing in of the drugs for you or you'll be skin and bones. Hope you are done for this round and can enjoy some relaxed time eating and watching some shows interruption free.
    Give my best to Keith; hope he finds his mom making some improvement. love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete