Friday, May 13, 2011

Stable(ish)

I picked up the MRI report on my way home today. It isn't bad news, but it isn't great news either. One area has improved (but isn't totally gone) and the other area looks about the same. I haven't confirmed with any doctor, but I think this means that a lumpectomy probably isn't an option. With that in mind I emailed my oncologist at UCSF the report and told her I'd like to pursue the trial. It is late on a Friday afternoon, so I can't imagine I'll hear back from her until Monday, but at least the ball can get rolling. I'm getting a little anxious about not having any drugs on board right now. I know a week or two won't make a lick of difference, but it weighs on me just the same.

Keith is off in Duluth taking care of his mom (and giving his dad and brother a quick break). She now has a firm diagnosis, but isn't responding as quickly to treatment as one might hope. She is however stable and seems to be tolerating the treatments pretty well. My fingers and toes are crossed that things start to look up soon!

**Edit: I just got a response from the doctor. They're on it. They have scheduled me for a couple different tests on Wednesday of next week. I will get more details on Monday.


3 comments:

  1. What a bummer that those 5 rounds of chemo haven't knocked out both areas of cancer. Wonder why the chemo would improve one area and not affect the other? What a great UCSF oncologist you must have, getting back to you so promptly on a Fri afternoon and getting things lined up for you for next week. Just the treatment you deserve! Wish I were closer so I could provide some pampering services to you. Hoping that Keith gets to see his mother improve significantly while he's visiting and that you have a good weekend. love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that the news was not better. but that is Wonderful that the UCSF doc got on your case so quickly and has you scheduled in for Wed. As you said, they can try some new drugs that may work better. You are a real trooper, ready to re-evaluate and re-chart the course.
    Gosh, I hope Keith's mom begins to respond well to the meds and that Keith can get back to give you some company & support as you switch docs/meds. lots of love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the report. Yes, I am sorry, too, that the news is not better, a serious disappointment, to say the least. But that’s great that you have gotten things rolling at UCSF. Here’s hoping that you are accepted in the trial and it’s just the treatment you need!

    I am sending well wishes to Keith, his mom, and company. I hope Keith’s mom sees some improvement soon.

    Take good care.

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete