Monday, May 30, 2011

More than Half Way There!

I have passed the half way mark. That is something to celebrate because this shit ain't easy. I think a lot of it is because it is a trial- there is a lot of dialing in the dosing of the different drugs. I'm hanging in there, but it is a struggle. Last night I had the runs. It took Keith two hours to watch a one hour tv show because I was constantly running to the bathroom. I called the doctor and he told me to take Imodium every hour until the diarrhea stopped. I did that for three hours and it finally stopped, whew.

This morning I didn't have any trouble with nausea (thank goodness). Things went along pretty well all day. I just took a lot of naps because the anti-nausea meds make me really tired. By the afternoon I was feeling pretty nauseated and vomited a couple times. The doctor called (just as I finished puking) and told me to wait on my evening dose of Lapatinib and double up on my anti-nausea meds if things don't improve.

Update on Keith's mom:
There have been some ups and downs today, but in the end things are about the same. She is still in ICU. She is really frustrated and we're all frustrated and very worried about her. The doctors are doing their best, but many of her ailments remain a bit of a mystery.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you for hanging in there - this regime sounds pretty shitty--so to speak. I sure hope that you and the doc figure out the best way to 'dial in the dose' (great expression!) so things get a lot easier. Have you tried ginger tablets that you suck to help with the nausea?

    I'm so sorry that Keith's mom is not improving. Could they get some advice from the Mayo clinic with a phone/video consult? I'd suspect that travelling is out of the question since she's in the ICU. Sending our thoughts and prayers to Duluth as well as Oakland, Sheila & Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update, Eileen. I'm so sorry you're not feeling better yet. Hang in there; I'm sure it will get better. And just think of all those cancer cells that are being killed with these nasty meds.
    Love,
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there E, Sounds like Keith is being a real trooper. Best with his mom.. and you!!
    PS.. Ginger has merit for nausea..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for keeping us up to date on things! Wow, you had a full day of just maintaining the status quo (or not even that!). Glad to hear that things were relatively stable, but still not an easy time. That’s great that the doctor checked in on you.

    I hope that folks are successful on this dialing in process (yes, I agree with Sheila, excellent phrase!)

    I am very sorry to hear that there is not better on Keith’s Mom!

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete