Friday, March 16, 2012

Downs and Ups and Done.

Well a lot has happened this week. We had a really nice and needed visit from my mom. She drove me to my radiation appointments at UCSF most days. It gave Keith a break (to actually get some work done at work) and meant I didn't need to take public transit (which I don't mind, but a car ride is usually faster if traffic isn't terrible).

Over the weekend, I came to the realization that between the fatigue from radiation and the fact that I'm deaf in my left ear (more on that later), I can't do a good job of teaching anymore. It was an incredibly hard decision. I love teaching. I got a lot of joy and pride from teaching, but it was time. I have taught through the last two years of treatments and I think it worked out pretty well (thanks in large part to an amazing substitute-really, "substitute" doesn't do him justice). I came to the realization that enough is too much. I'm worried about what I'm going to do to keep myself occupied, but we'll see. For now I'll keep it simple... I'll be doing some napping, cooking up yummy dinners and going for some dog walks (which will be more pleasant if it'll stop raining for more than 5 minutes at a time!).

The only wrinkle in not working is the paperwork that goes along with it. I'm feeling pretty lucky that back in 2007 when I was signing up for a flex spending account the guy suggested I get disability insurance. It cost me less than $50/month and now it means that money won't be too much of an issue. It does mean some hoops to jump through of course. The folks at school have been great helping with their part and I think the paperwork from my oncologist is pretty well sorted, so that just leaves the part that I have to fill out. Fingers crossed that I get it all tied up neatly and the insurance company doesn't see any problems!

On Tuesday I had an appointment with my oncologist. I really just needed to talk about what my situation is as she sees it. I was in a pretty dark place (too much "doctor google" does a girl wrong!). In her usual thoughtful and frank way my oncologist explained that this crap in my brain is most likely going to be my undoing, but there are options out there. First of all she expects me to get a rally from this latest radiation treatment. Second, once we know if the radiation worked or not there are a couple of clinical trials that target brain mets that I may be eligible for. Big sigh of relief, there are still options (read: I'm not completely fucked yet. well...I'm pretty fucked, but you get what I'm saying).

The ear is still a problem that I haven't gotten sorted out. It's insane that I'm still waiting to get in to see someone. I'm second guessing my decision to go to UCSF for an ENT. Here's what was explained to me today...it boggles the mind: My oncologist (at UCSF) sent a referral two weeks ago today. My case was given to doctor A to review. Unfortunately doctor A was out all of last week, so it took a week for him to take a look and decide he didn't want the case. He passed it along to doctor B who also passed on the case, and passed it along to a nurse practitoner. So right now my case is being reviewed by the nurse practitioner! According to the receptionist, I should get a call to make an appointment by the middle of next week. What a cluster fuck. In talking about this with my radiation oncologist, she shares my frustration, but pointed out that what this means is that the doctors didn't see my case as something that needed emergent care. I guess there is something to feel good about in there, but holy crap I'm pissy. I may end up just calling the ENT that my GP here in Oakland recommended and giving up on the UCSF ENT.

Finally, it's Friday and I have had my last of the 14 radiation treatments. Woo Hoo! Before treatment we sat down with the radiation oncologist. She gave me directions on how to wean off the steroids. Hopefully it goes smoothly!! I'll go back in and see her for a "check up" in a month or so. Then she'll get me another brain MRI in 2 months (I was thinking it'd be sooner). Of course if I have symptoms in between they'll scan sooner, but if I'm doing ok, then they'll wait. She reiterated that if things crop up, depending on the shape and location, there may be the option of targeted radiation therapy.... so again there are options.

So, what's next? Rest and relax for a couple weeks, then I'll go back on some targeted therapy. No clinical trial and no chemo for now. The plan is for me to go back on Herceptin (an infusion every 3 weeks with essentially no side effects) and the regular dose of Tykerb (this shouldn't be too bad, the regular dose is 1/3 of what I was getting when I was on the trial). I'll do that until my next brain MRI (or some other shit hits the fan!). Once we find out if the radiation worked then there'll be some more decisions.

Keep all fingers and toes crossed that the radiation killed off the cancer and cleaned up my brain!

10 comments:

  1. Dear Eileen,
    Thank you for the long update. WOW. You have had to make so many hard decisions and face so much disappointing news.... and have done it with such grace. You are a very strong and focused woman; I am very, very proud to be your aunt!! Here's hoping you have a really long rally.
    Our love to you and Keith. Enjoy the spring.
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredibly difficult decision and process it must have been to quit teaching - I can only begin to imagine. You are so good at it; no wonder it brought you joy and satisfaction. Thank you for the detailed update, clearly no brain cells damaged so far! I'm awed by the strength you show to all of us. Yaay for being smart enough to get the disability insurance. I'll be contacting you to see how I can contribute to something creative and distracting for you to do now that you've got leisure time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for your detailed and candid update. Life is not easy. I am very sorry that you had to decide to stop teaching, but it makes a lot of sense. But the sensibility factor, certainly doesn’t take away from how unspeakably tough the decision was. You continue to amaze and inspire us with your grace!

    I hope that you are able to consult with an ENT soon. In the meantime, I hope that you are able to keep yourself amused and occupied.

    Take good care.

    Love,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen,

    Tough week with tough decision's made.. Just as I echo the others pride and admiration of your grace, class, tenacious fighting, knowledge of your enemy and of the doctors on your team. I also feel the pain of these decisions and with doing everything in your power and still facing this uncertainty. You have and always will be amazing. I cry for your suffering and frustrations but smile with pride in knowing you. Thank you for keeping us informed.

    All fingers and toes crossed, prayers said, and any good vibes sent your way! Thoughts always with Keith and you in this tough journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eileen,
    What a tough couple of weeks you have had! As you know, we're all in such admiration of your strength and courage to keep going and always clearly thinking what's your best next step in this tough journey. Of course, we don't know what "tough" means as we haven't walked this journey.
    Hope you can get in and see an ENT soon - how frustrating to have to wait this long!
    Fingers and toes crossed that the radiation did it's "thing" and sending you and Keith lots of love, prayers and good thoughts,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though you have decided to give up teaching for now. You continue to teach those about you. The very best and a quote that might fit what your going through:

    “I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
    Delicious Ambiguity.”
    ― Gilda Radner

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a week you have had (well actually, it has been three weeks). But the last week must have been particularly difficult with the decision to quit teaching. I hope you can find some creative outlets sometime soon; but in the meantime, you can get some rest after all those steroids. You have our love and admiration; your strength (with a touch of humor) is truly inspiring. You and Keith deserve some sunny days for a few good walks.
    love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just read your blog for the first time tonight. You are a woman with enormous strength. You will be missed terribly by your students. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Happy to drive you to the city for treatments. So glad your mom is with you, suspect she is comforted to support you and be by your side.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see where "Mrs Rohmer get well" has posted 12 new members just this week. Your students will always be your students teach them well.. echo what one said "Thank you for having a bazillion moles of amazingness, so we offer a bazillion moles of support."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think of you often, Eileen. You are absolutely amazing and so strong. I am sad that at such a young age you are having to deal with such major health issues. How difficult for you to give up your love of teaching--I am hoping one day you will have the strength to return. I am glad you are still going to UCSF. I have a close friend who has struggled with cancer for the last several years. It has now gone to her brain, but she is doing quite well. She has participated in clinical trials at UCSF, and thinks highly of the care she has received.
    Lots of hugs and prayers to you.
    Diana

    ReplyDelete