Sunday, March 11, 2012

Hair Cut and Moon Face

My hair hasn't started falling out, but it is inevitable so for the third time in 2 years Keith shaved my head. I hate to say it is an improvement, but my hairdo was INSANE anyway so this isn't too bad (just a little chilly). The bigger drag than the hair is my puffy moon face. It is a side effect of the steroids, but wowza I'm looking pretty funny. It's getting crazy. There isn't anything to be done and I've managed to wean down to 8 mg (down from 16 when this all started a couple weeks ago). The facial puffiness probably won't go down until I get all the way off. I know it is a stupid thing to complain about given all the other crap to complain about, but ugh.

I have decided to take this week off work. It's just too hard to teach right now since I can't hear a thing out of my left ear. My right ear works so I can function in most situations, but a classroom isn't one of them. I'm lucky to have an amazing sub ready to step in, so there isn't too much stress there. I just need to get in to see a doctor to get my ear checked out. After getting a referral over a week ago, I'm still waiting for my case to be evaluated by a doctor (who was out of town last week). I can't believe how long it takes, but at the same time I want to be seen by someone at UCSF (just for some continuity) and I don't know what they'll even do for me before I finish radiation anyway... Still, I HATE waiting (and being deaf!).

Other than the ear thing, I'm managing pretty well. I've gotten a bit more sleep since I've dropped down the steroid dosage. I'm still walking the dog 2-4 miles a day. I'm doing a lot of vegging out in front of the TV (boring my mom to DEATH!) and surfing the web (anyone want to play words with friends - let me know!).

7 comments:

  1. Hi Eileen, Thanks for the update. With my home computer on the fritz, I didn't get a chance to respond to your last post. Gosh, but you are amazing putting one foot in front of the other as you say. And doing for that for 2-4 miles a day! Puts the rest of us to shame. Hope you can wean yourself off those steroids after this week of radiation. Good for you for finding some entertaining games. Good luck with this week's treatments and enjoy your new chauffeur. love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really appreciate your updates, Eileen. You're on our minds all the time. Glad you've got Keith to do the shaving for you! It must be really, really annoying to have that deaf ear and unsettling to experience the puffy face from the steroids. I remember a friend who needed a kidney transplant going through that. We all know the gorgeous gal that you are, so I hope you can ignore the puffiness. Fingers crossed for an uneventful last few days of radiation and rooting for the radiation to do its good work on those cancer cells. love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing strength and courage Eileen.love you all . Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen,
    Thanks for your update. I hope that the week with your new chauffeur and taking time off from school goes uneventfully for you and that you hear back from the ear doctor. It is aggravating to be waiting.
    Sending lots of love and prayers your way.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update! That’s great that you have a reliable sub; that certainly makes it easier to take some days off. Yes, it makes a lot of sense to take this week off. I am thinking and rooting for you! Wishing the radiation to be very effective!
    Very impressive walking stats! Red must be a very happy pooch.

    Take good care.
    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Eileen,
    Thanks for the update. Hang in there!!! Hope you get in to see an ENT soon and keep lowering your dose of steroids. Enjoy time with your mom. Love to all,
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. After all this is done, Eileen, you should write a book. You clearly are a "profile in courage." My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Martha

    ReplyDelete