Saturday, March 31, 2012

Fatigue is Here

I had a good week- I managed to stay busy enough. I checked everything off my to-do list (pretty much anyway). I walked a lot of hilly miles. I did a bunch of cooking; some things were successful (I finally made a really good batch of mujadara- lentils and rice with carmelized onions) and some not so much (raspberry coconut macaroons- great when they came out of the oven but a mushy mess the next day, ick). We had a chance to catch up with some of my colleagues from work last night and that was great. After years of seeing them everyday of the school year, I miss seeing them everyday. Oh, and the colleague who hosted has two of the cutest little dogs! Made me want another dog (not what we need, but...).

There were a couple of gifts from students for me yesterday. One was a gorgeous flower arrangement from a former student and teaching assistant and the other was...wait for it.... a saber toothed tiger tooth! He was given the tooth as a gift and lent it to a friend who had cancer and that friend recovered, so he's lending it to me now! I'll be fighting this crap like a saber toothed tiger now! Seriously though, all my interactions with students and parents have been so supportive and sweet, I am really touched. Thank you!

Keith and I saw a psychologist who specializes in helping cancer patients and their families. It was a little weird and really draining, but I like her a lot and I think in the long run it will be a really good thing. I made another appointment to see her around the time I'll be getting my follow up brain MRI because I'll (we'll) be anxious about the results. It is a weird thing though, by the end of it we both left feeling like we've been doing a pretty good job of coping without any professional help so far.

That sums up the week, then came Saturday...I slept ok, got up and finished making the bagels I started yesterday (it was fun to try making them, but I'm not sure it is worth the hassle), ate a yummy breakfast of FRESH bagels and lox and promptly fell asleep on the couch. I proceeded to spend most of the day dozing and watching throw-away TV. It was a nice lazy day, but geez!?!? I finally got up and did a couple errands with Keith and at 7pm (in the rain, ugh) I took Red for a short walk. I think the fatigue they kept telling me I'd have might be here. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

My sister is coming out on Monday, so that'll be fun. I won't have to work at staying busy next week because we'll figure something out. I have appointments on Tuesday (oncologist) and Wednesday (hearing test and ENT - finally!!!), but the rest of the time we'll have fun relaxing and eating food she can't find back home.

I will say that other than being lazy, I'm feeling good. I've been off steroids for almost a week. No real change in the moon face yet, that'll take a month they say. I don't have any real headaches. I think my legs are getting stronger and I'm sleeping better.

4 comments:

  1. A saber toothed tiger tooth - wow, what a strong amulet! Guess you'll be keeping that in your pocket at all times. Sorry to hear that you're struck with fatigue, but with the radiation and lack of sleep from the steroids, it's no surprise you need to catch up on your rest. Glad you and Keith have the support of a psychologist who you like, even though you two have been doing an awe inspiring job by yourselves. Enjoy your sister's visit and good luck with the appointments. all our love, Sheila & Larry and purrs from Nona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eileen, What wonderful colleagues and students you have--- I'm sure a reflection of how good you've been to them. Sorry you're getting hit by the fatigue, but after all those steroids, I'd say go for some lazy days and enjoy some naps in the middle of the day. Meg will probably enjoy a lazy day too. Hope you two find some fun things too to spice up your week. Raspberry coconut macaroons sound so good - I'm sorry they did not work out. You and Keith are amazing, intuitively knowing how to handle these tough times, without any professional help.
    all our love to you both, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the report. Glad to hear that you have been able to keep yourself busy. What a great show of admiration and fondness; that’s wonderful. You deserve it all! And, wow, a saber-tooth tiger tooth; could be just the break-through you have been searching for!
    Those raspberry macaroons sound pretty darn tasty- even with an extremely limited shelf life.

    I am sorry to hear that you have been hit with fatigue. No need fighting it; kick back and keep surfing.

    Enjoy your company!

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Eileen,
    I want to echo what has been said above....that's wonderful that you are keeping in touch with colleagues and students, I'm sure they miss you! And a saber-toothed tiger tooth.... wow! I hope it will be in your pocket at all times!! I'm glad that you and Keith went to see a psychologist... I think you are wise to try all of the support systems available to you on this very difficult journey. Enjoy your naps and your sister's visit!
    Love, ann

    ReplyDelete