Wednesday, March 7, 2012

One Foot in Front of the Other

I'm half way done with my 14 treatments today. It isn't as easy as it seemed in the fall, but we're putting one foot in front of the other and it is getting done. Being on steroids is tough, but I'm not ready to wean off any further yet. I'm struggling with some pretty severe hearing loss in my left ear. The radiation oncologist thought it must be something simple, but my GP says no. At this point we're figuring it must be swelling from the cancer/irritation from the radiation and I'm waiting (not very patiently) for a referral to an ENT. At this point I'm less worried about the why and more interested in just getting some kind of a fix. Teaching is rough when you can't hear well!

One really nice thing is that my mom is out for a week or so to help out. My radiation oncologist told me she'd rather I not be driving myself into the city everyday (she admitted that she was being very conservative given that I've never had any seizure activity, but better safe than sorry). So having mom here to tote me back and forth to treatment for a bit will give Keith a break!

I'm taking all prayers and good thoughts that this round of rads really kicks some cancer ass! I'm managing fine right now, but this has been one hell of a set back.

4 comments:

  1. One hell of a setback, indeed! The hearing loss must be scary and just plain annoying, particularly as a teacher. Is there a chance that the radiation will decrease the swelling and/or that the irritation will go away after the treatments, bringing back the hearing? Hope the ENT can help. We're all thinking of you and sending those prayers and good wishes (bucking those wild spring winds) to the Oakland/SF area. love, S, L & purrs from Nona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for the update. You are truly amazing, Eileen! It certainly sounds like you are going through a very tough period. I so hope that the radiation turns out to be particularly effective. And, I hope that you and your Mom are able to find some fun things to do, to keep you occupied. Easier said than done, I am sure!

    Take good care.
    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Eileen,
    My thoughts and prayers are with you. You are strong!! I hope you get to see an ENT soon and get your hearing restored. Enjoy your mom's visit. Love, ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear of the setback, prayers and thoughts are always coming your way. Hopefully you have good on site support to help get you through all the unwanted side effects. Glad your mom was able to come out.

    ReplyDelete