Thursday, March 1, 2012

Three Done!

So I'm done with round three. Things are going along ok. A couple of changes though. The plan has changed again, I'll be getting 14 doses of radiation. The idea is to give a lower dose each day to try to avoid some of the negative side effects without forgoing cancer killing. The last two doses will be a little different because they'll carve out a spot so as not to radiate my brainstem (was radiated before and is important for basic function - breathing, etc). The other change is the doctor says she'd rather I not be driving to the city every day. She said she's being very conservative, but better safe than sorry (it'd be bad for me to have a seizure driving to or from the radiation appointments!).

So far I'm feeling ok, things are weird mostly because of the steroids. They make it impossible to get a good night's sleep. My doctor told me that I'm taking about 20x more adrenaline than my body would normally be making each day. I'm weaning off the steroids already, so hopefully that'll get better. For now, I'm physically tired, but just can't see to get more than an hour or two of sleep. I'm hoping to drop the dose a little more this weekend and maybe I'll be able to SLEEP!!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Eileen, for this update. We're thinking of you and have been anxious to hear how it's going.I'm sure it's annoying not to be driving to your radiation appointments, but it's better to be safe on those highways. It's awful when you're so revved that you can't sleep-nothing worse than being exhausted but not sleepy. How are the headaches? Hoping that you get weaned off the steroids enough to sleep soon. love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the report! Glad to hear that your prescription was adjusted. I know that you won’t to get the radiation regime complete, but it makes sense to decrease the daily dose.

    I am sorry to hear that you are advised not to drive, but it’s better to be on the safe side.

    Yikes, that’s a lot of adrenaline. I hope that you are able to reduce the steroids soon and get a good night’s sleep!

    I hope that you are able to find some fun ways to distract yourself this weekend!

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the updates. We've all been thinking about you and wondering how the treatment was going. Glad that you have gotten the first three rounds done and things are going 'okay'. Gosh, I hope you have been able to reduce the steroids so that you can get a few more winks in. You need more than an hour or two to take care of your exhaustion. No driving is a pain - hope that does not last too long. Take good care. All our love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're wonderful in keeping us posted on how your treatments are going - even when you are exhausted. I do hope you are able to wean yourself off some of the steroids so you can get more than an hour or two of sleep at night. Sending lots of love from Chichester.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Eileen, Thank you for keeping us posted. Hope you're able to get a good night's sleep real soon. We are thinking of you and hoping the radiation treatment is extraordinarily effective! Love to you and Keith from rainy NC,
    ann

    ReplyDelete