Friday, March 23, 2012

where it's at

Well, I've had a good week. I'm now a week out from my last radiation treatment and I'm almost completely weaned off the steroids. So far, the wean has gone smoothly. My head feels funny and I have some brief headaches, but nothing I'm too worried about.

So far I'm enjoying the whole not working thing. My mornings are more relaxed. I get up, have breakfast (and my 'roids), take the dog for a walk and do my project of the day. Red (the dog) and I are clocking between 3 and 4 miles a day. Being on steroids for so long has had some side effects. I have a giant moon face (no wrinkles!), sleeping is sometimes a challenge and there is some loss of muscle in my thighs. The thigh muscle thing is actually pretty crazy. My thighs have totally lost muscle tone. I can still walk just fine, but stairs are hard (dragging groceries up the stairs at our Whole Foods is ridiculous!). So, long story short, Red and I are doing hills and stairs to try to keep in some kind of shape. Tuesday we went up to the top of Mountain View cemetary and today we went up to upper Rockridge and walked up (and down) a bunch of the stair paths up there. The views are just amazing!

I have managed to stay pretty busy really. A lot got done this week; our taxes are finished, my disability paperwork is filed, most of our house got a serious cleaning, my school work is up to date, I had some nice visits with friends and I made some yummy food. I just have to say: I made a red lentil and cauliflower curry from Veganomicon that was outstanding! It's easy and really really yummy! Vegans and meaties will like it!

In other news, I finally have an appointment for a hearing test and the ENT nurse practitioner. Of course, they aren't for a week and a half from now, but I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT (I was referred to the ENT on March 2nd and my appointment is on April 4th). I'm really curious to "hear" what she thinks is going on, but really I'm just hoping there is something to be done about my hearing loss.

My sudden departure from work has resulted in a lot of really sweet emails from students and colleagues alike. Some are so touching- I just don't have words to express how much they mean to me. I always new I loved teaching, but until something like this happens you never really think about it. Teachers rarely hear how they impact their students and this event really inspired kids to tell me. In the end I think what I take away from it is that I got really lucky. I found a career that I love and that I worked hard to do well. Teaching isn't easy- to do a decent job you work HARD, but it can be great fun and incredibly rewarding (and incredibly frustrating... but, a hell of a lot of fun). While I'm comfortable with my decision to stop, I definitely miss going to work everyday. There wasn't a day teaching that someone didn't give me a great laugh!

7 comments:

  1. It is amazing what people hold back, but when they share how powerful it can be. Kids today are just as good and kind.. different environment and culture that they work their way through. Takes people like you that care and are passionate about their work.
    What is also great is how passionate you are in this fight. Hoping that the ENT is able to give some insight and possible relief on your hearing.
    Red is a great exercize tool.. sure he is happy helping you! Always the very best to Keith and you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, thanks very much for your detailed update! I am sorry to hear that going up stairs is so tough. I guess loss of muscle tone is a common side effect of the ‘roids. I hope that the combo of weaning off the ‘roids and your power walking regimen leads to improvement on the muscle front.
    That’s great that you have an appointment with an ENT nurse practitioner.
    And, thanks for the hot curry tip (sorry for that awful nail-on-chalk board pun)! Seriously, I will give it a try.

    That’s wonderful that you are hearing such touching stories and well, well-deserved praise!!

    Take good care.
    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eileen- So glad your first week post-teaching went well. I am so impressed with your exercise regimen.... my hat's off to you and Red! Hope you see improvement in muscle tone.
    I'm so glad you are getting such feedback from students and colleagues. You are a fabulous teacher and they must miss you tremendously!
    Take good care and hope the ENT appointment goes well.
    Love, ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it great that you and Keith got Red ever so long ago- you two are inspiring me with your 3-4 miles a day. It's so much nicer to go for a walk with a pal. I've located the recipe for the curry & will try soon. Wonderful that your students are able to express their thanks and admiration - richly deserved! It reminds me to say those nice things to people more often. It's so easy to complain, but somehow more difficult to express the positive. Enjoy the warmth of all that love. Hoping that the steroids are down enough to allow you to sleep and that the ENT appt is helpful. Coughing & snorting with the flu, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great,

    We hear at Piedmont High School do appreciate all that you have done for us.

    BTW some of your students have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Eileen,
    What an inspiration you are! finding positive things in each new situation you face. I'm sure you're missing your students, colleagues and the teaching but it sounds like you're already doing a good job of developing some new routines. It's wonderful you have Red for a walking companion.
    I do hope the ENT appointment proves to be helpful.
    Love,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ms. Rohmer, you were THE BEST teacher I had in high school, and your class honestly prepared me the most for my college career in the sciences. I'm keeping you in my thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete