Wednesday, June 1, 2011

And Done.


Here's a picture of my constant companion this week as I laid around in bed!

I'm done with Tykerb for 9 days! Interestingly I felt better today than I have since Sunday. I really think a lot of it has to do with eating. I forced myself to eat something even when I felt crappy. I didn't have any real nausea today except a nasty case of car sickness on the way back from UCSF. I'm lucky to have had Keith driving me rather than being stuck on the Muni ready to puke. I managed to hold it together and didn't puke. I got home, took a Zofran (anti-nausea) and snuck in a nap.

I had an interesting trip to UCSF today. I went in for another biopsy, an EKG and a blood draw. The biopsy was a bit of a cluster fuck. The problem is that because I've had a couple of rounds of chemo, what looks like tumor in the ultrasound is really a mix of scar tissue and cancer. This makes it hard to get a good sample of cancer cells. I was hoping to get the same radiologist that I had last time and for a while it sounded like that would happen. Unfortunately she got tied up with a complicated procedure, so I had someone new. In the end they tried to get samples three different times and still didn't get much of a sample. I would be disappointed, but in talking to the doctor I learned that the results of these biopsies are not something I'll ever see. Once the sample is collected it is unlinked from my name and analyzed along with all the others from my cohorts in the trial.

In other news, I read the report from my CT scan last week. All my organs are "unremarkable"! This is a good thing. I was a little worried that being off chemo for six weeks would mean that something might crop up in the mean time. I am very very pleased to be unremarkable!

I am relieved that I'm feeling better today (although my gut sounds like a flushing toilet right now). It makes me confident that I can go ahead and do another round and more effectively control the side effects (regular eating, higher doses of certain drugs, different anti-nausea drugs, etc).

Update on Keith's mom:
She is still in ICU, but her breathing has improved. She is not out of the woods yet, but she is stable for now. The doctors have finally developed a clear outline of their plan of attack in terms of the drugs. There are no guarantees that things will work, but we are more hopeful today!

5 comments:

  1. "Ms Unremarkable" - we like that. Here's to many more CT scans showing unremarkable organs! However, "Ms Swiss Cheese" is not so good. I hope you get the very skilled radiologist next time. Good for Diesel (it is D, isn't it?) for keeping you company through those rough days. Hope she had a soothing purr turned on. I'm glad that you've figured out how to control the Tykerb side effects and aren't dreading the next round of Tykerb - that would ruin the 9 days off. Hope you find things in good order back at school. Glad to hear K's mom is stable but hoping that she'll be out of ICU and breathing well soon. love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update, Eileen. I'm so glad that things are a bit better both for you and Keith's mom. And congrats on the clear CT scan!!!! Enjoy your 9 days off!
    Love,
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! Glad to hear that you have seen a bit of an improvement in terms of keeping the negative side effects in check. Also, great news that you have “unremarkable” organs!! A big whew!

    I hope that Keith's mom not only remains stable, but shows some improvement.

    I hope that you are able to relax and enjoy your 9 days off the nasty drugs!

    Take care.

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Eileen, can't speak for each individual organ, but collectively your quite remarkable. Yes this trial will hopefully provide positive results.. but the stuff your going through is very unselfish and yes remarkable. The very best thoughts and wishes continue for you and for Keith's mom. I know how important the support is for both of you right now. Live Strong!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celebrate round one done! Getting through those 9 days is quite an accomplishment. And next time your cuddling companion deserves a full photo. Hope the next round goes more smoothly now that you have some experience dialing in the right drugs. Enjoy your Tykerb free days and eat up.
    Greetings to Keith; I hope his mom sees some improvement soon. Love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete