Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Feelin' Good and Flyin' Solo

I'm pleased to report that all those nasty side effects from Tykerb went away right away! I felt fine the next day when I was at school and things have been good ever since. That makes this regime way more manageable. Now if I can just keep the nausea at bay this next round will be a piece of cake (maybe I went to far with that). My plan is to talk things over with the doctor, maybe I can try a different medication (or perhaps I can just add another medication to the one I was taking?). I don't know, I will see my doc at UCSF on Thursday so we can figure that out. I also think I absolutely have to force myself to eat. Last round nothing sounded palatable and I didn't force the issue. I pretty much existed on peanut butter toast and gatorade. This time around I'm going to choke something down every couple hours so there is always a little something in my gullet. I'm going to cook up some chicken soup and some simple white rice cooked in broth. I'm pretty well convinced that I can keep better handle on nausea, but I guess we'll see next week (fingers crossed).

Keith's mom is still in ICU. She had surgery last Friday and things are healing up well, but recovery is slow. Keith headed up to Duluth last Friday. He was planning on coming home this Thursday, but from the sound of things he's going to stay up there a couple extra days. I can't get over what a shit storm we're living in. Poor Keith is so torn and he just can't be in two places at once. Thankfully I'm doing pretty darn well, but we're definitely paying the tax for living so far from our families!

4 comments:

  1. A "shit storm" is putting it mildly - what a horrible patch you and Keith are living through. You need a vacation and some R&R! Delighted to hear that the nasty side effects of Tykerb disappeared promptly when you stopped taking it, and I sure hope you and the UCSF doc can figure out the mix of meds you need to keep the side effects under control next time. I trust Red and the pussers are taking good care of you while Keith's away. Thinking of you, Keith and his mom-golly, she needs a turn for the better! love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update, Eileen. You guys really are in such a rough patch..... I wish there was something I could do to help you. I'm glad you are feeling better and hope you can really work with your docs to come up with a new and improved strategy for the next round. Here's hoping you get some serious relief from your shit storm very, very soon!!
    Love,
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear another report; thanks! Yes, ‘perfect storm’ is far too mild-mannered- here’s to sidling up to a stronger term- shit storm, it is! But seriously, I am sorry that you and Keith are having to go through all of this. I hope that your optimism turns out to be well-founded, that it will not be too difficult to keep some food in the proverbial pipe line most of the time, and that does the trick.

    And, I hope that Keith’s mom turns a corner and sees steady improvement.

    So, have you taught Red and Deisel to deliver treats to you?

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen,
    I hope your appointment with the UCSF doc went well and that you two have a plan for round two that will allow you to eat good food every day. Good idea to cook up some yummy treats so it's an easy prep. When is your next round? Hope Keith's mom is better and the Keith can come home for a bit and give you some company through the next round. Perhaps it will be a 'piece of cake' as you say, but it's always nice to have some there. Too bad you both don't have family close by. Red, Diesel and Hayward will have to step in for now. Take good care of yourself; we think of you two all the time and wish you well through this s. storm. Love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete