Thursday, June 9, 2011

I Wanna New Drug...

I went in for my blood draw and doctor's appointment today. It was nice to see my regular UCSF oncologist again. She was all caught up on how things went. I love it when I feel like a doctor has given thought to my case prior to walking in the door. It doesn't happen as often as it should. We started right off talking about the problems I had with nausea. She suggested I try adding a couple more anti-nausea meds to my arsenal. It sounds good to me! So I've got prescriptions for Ativan and Compazine. The interesting (and frustrating) thing is I have both of these in my medicine cabinet from back when I first did chemo. I got them for any "break-through" nausea. I didn't think to ask if I could take them last round when I was struggling. I just assumed that since this is a trial that they wouldn't want me to break with the protocol.

After discussing that she took a look and she thinks the skin on my breast is looking better. I thought maybe I saw the same thing, but since I see it daily it is harder to tell. I looked over all my blood work and that looks good. My counts are continuing to recover post chemo. Some things are still a little out of whack, but nothing crazy.

I am not looking forward to this next round, but I am hopeful that it will go better than the first time. Keep your fingers crossed!

I don't have too much new to report about Keith's mom. Keith is still up in Duluth with her. He will be up there until Sunday. She is still in ICU and she still needs to ventilator periodically. It seems like it is just going to be a long period of recovery for her.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that the UCSF doc confirms your observation that the skin on your breast is looking a bit better (does Tykerb get the credit for that?), that the blood work looks pretty good, and that you've got a couple of additional meds to try for keeping the nausea under control. Do you have a doc's cell phone number to call if you need help or advice this time around? I sure hope you find this 2nd go-round a lot easier. Poor Keith, him mom and his whole family! They must be so discouraged and even more stressed since the hospital is so far from home. We'll be thinking of you this weekend, sending strong anti-nausea thoughts your way. love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that there's a bit of good news for you...... Take all the anti-nausea meds you can get your hands on!! Such a rough time for Keith and his whole family..... I'm hoping for some good news on that front very soon. Will be thinking of you.
    Love,
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for another report! Glad to hear that you had a satisfying visit with your UCSF oncologist; that is important. And, that’s great that your blood stats are pretty good.

    I hope that this round goes much more smoothly than the last. Sounds like you are armed with good instincts and good drugs!

    Sorry to hear that the news is not better on Keith’s mom. I hope the recovery stays on track.

    Take care.
    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear such a good report from the doc's visit. It does give one confidence when she comes through the door prepared. With a full medicine cabinet, you should be well-armed for this next onslaught. I'll be thinking of you and hoping that your kitties and Red will offer you some good company. You need a few good movies this weekend with Keith in Duluth. All our love, ellen

    ReplyDelete