Sunday, June 24, 2012

Less Hope Not Hopeless

Warning:  This is a tough post.  I usually can spin things to the most positive, but things are rough.  I should also warn you that there may be things that are just TMI, sorry.

So there is a lot to tell and I'll try to keep it relatively concise here.  You want more details, shoot me an email (I can send you the long version).  Went to the ER on Tuesday because I didn't feel like I was completely emptying my bladder.  After a day of scans and sitting around I left with a catheter and the news that my cancer is dotting my spinal cord in so many places they have no idea where to start to try to alleviate my symptoms.  Fast forward a day and the radiation oncologist has been convinced by my medical oncologist to try radiating the spots most likely to be causing my problems.  After talking through the side effects (sore throat and maybe some diarrhea) it seemed like while it may not do anything, the downsides aren't too bad, so we're going ahead.  I will go through a 5 day cycle of radiation treatments to parts of my spine.  Hopefully it does some good.  Good would mean my shoulder will hurt less and I will regain some of the sensation I've lost.  Fingers crossed.

Thursday Keith and I saw my medical oncologist.  It was depressing.  We are getting to the point where  options are getting limited and my cancer is getting aggressive.  First, good news- my body is still clear of cancer.  I had a scan (probably wasteful healthcare spending, but...) on Wednesday and there wasn't evidence of cancer.  The fact is though, there is cancer growing like wildfire in my central nervous system.  It is "studding" my spinal cord in more places than they can count and there is evidence of more growing back in my fucking brain!  Fuck, fuck, fuck!  Now, hopefully the intrathecal chemo will work.... my oncologist isn't really optimistic on that, but it is better than nothing.  Depending on how I'm feeling next week, I'll either get another dose of chemo on Friday or we'll talk about switching to an oral chemo (Xeloda) that shows promise for crossing the blood brain barrier.  The hope at this point is that between radiation and the chemo that we can slow the train down a bit and I can get a rally (or at least slow the onset of symptoms).  Right now I have two main goals; learn how to self catheterize (hopefully happening tomorrow) and stay the fucking hell away from the ER for the next bit. 

Catheter update:  Saturday was a cluster-fuck trying to get my catheter out and get training on intermittent catheterization of myself.  I'm proud to say I took a stand.  The catheter was going to come out yesterday no matter what, and I just kept at it until it did.  You wouldn't believe the trips and turns, but I got it done.  I'm free of the foley catheter, peeing some on my own and doing some self catheterization (strangely simple really - after all the fuss) to make sure I'm emptying everything.  The best part is that I am back walking the dog and taking luxurious soaks in the tub.  There were a lot of folks yesterday who just didn't understand how important it was that I not have to wait until sometime Monday to deal with this.  In the end persistence, determination and some $$ got it done.

I hate to say it, but it is also time for me to seriously get my shit in order.  I don't know quite where to start, but it needs to happen.  The control freak part of me wants to tie up as many little loose ends as possible.  Can't be any harm in being prepared!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for the update. As always, you did it with equal parts grace, candor, and humor. Truly astounding. No, apologies needed on the TMI front. Seriously.

    I am happy to hear that you at least conquered (maybe not the right word?) the catheterization business.

    I can’t even imagine approaching the project of getting things in order. You are brave and courageous just putting at the top of your to-do list!

    Here’s hoping that the latest mix of chemo and radiation is effective.

    Hugs all around.
    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear, dear Eileen- We am so very sorry to hear that the cancer is agressively growing along your spine and your treatment options have become fewer. We am so very sad for you and Keith, your mom, Meg, and for all of us. You have been given a very rough road to travel.
    I am very proud of you, not in the least for your stand against catheters, or at least against having a catheter. You need to enjoy every day as best you can! And Red need his walks....
    Take good care, Eileen. Our love to you and Keith,
    ann & tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Eileen,
    No words can adequately express the sadness that fills our hearts to hear that the cancer has become aggressive and that you're suffering with numbness and difficulty peeing.

    For me, you are an incredible heroine in so many ways. Your courage to take each situation and deal with it in the very best way you can is extraordinary.
    Your willingness to share your journey openly and frankly with us is touching. And I'm so proud of your persistence in conquering the catheter issue..... Yeah for Eileen!
    BTW, your blog entries never have TMI for me; I'm eager to know exactly how you're doing.
    Lots of Love,
    Kate and Doug

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Eileen and Keith,
    Thanks for letting us know the latest news. We are all thinking of you all the time and wishing you the best. I'm always looking for news of you. Oh, how very sad and discouraging it must be for you (and for all of us who are rooting for you) to get the latest report of that cancer in your spine and brain is growing. You are incredibly strong to be able to write about it.
    Kudos to you for persevering on the catheter front! You deserve to get out and enjoy a walk with Red! I'm sure Red is happy to see you on the sidewalk with him.
    Gosh, I wish I were close by so I could stop by and do chore while congratulating you on your very strong and spunky attitude! Lots of love and hugs from all of us, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eileen,

    The appreciation of your sharing can not be over stated. We all care about you in our own ways. The memories and love we draw on, the smiles and witty thoughts... we are humble in the courage and grace you possess. I'm sure it just feels crappy and it is, but from the outside the blogs have provided a window into this nasty cancer, but more so a light on how amazing you are in dealing with everything, the thirst for knowledge, your love for Keith and his for you, and of course the travel and walks with Red. Because of you Eileen, lives have been changed for the better.. even in the darkest shadows. Love is not having to say your sorry.. the quality of the journey, the people you touch, the beauty you have seen, the love of your family and friends. You will always have our love and support, unconditionally! Thanks for the update and the very best in getting results from the radiation! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete