Friday, June 15, 2012

So Far Things are Flowing!

So I got in for my cisternogram (aka a flow study).  My neurosurgeon's resident (or is it fellow) came and tortured me by ripping off the dressing and pushing around on the surgical site.  I am confident in his talent as a neurosurgeon, but he sure isn't delicate or gentle when the patient is awake (I should have dosed up on pain killers ahead of time!).  Then they injected a radioactive solution (technetium).

As a geeky aside - I just looked at the wikipedia page for technetium.  It was first "artificial" (man made) element.  They discovered it on foil removed from the cyclotron at Lawrence Berkeley Labs (LBL).  Okey dokey, enough of that.

After the injection (essentially painless - 30 gauge needle), they took a series of 5 minute long "pictures" to see if the solution was getting distributed evenly throughout my cerbral spinal fluid (CSF).  This was pretty relaxing, I think I got a couple of cat naps in (not much sleep last night - more on that later).  At the end they told me that things were looking good, they just wanted me back down in a couple hours for another set of pictures after things had set for a while.  If this set looks good, then the oncologist has the go ahead for chemo and he'll administer it to me this afternoon.  I'll be watched overnight and head home tomorrow!  Fingers crossed for that best case scenario!!

So, I have to tell you a little about last night.  The woman I was sharing a room with came in from another hospital late in the day and seemed ok until night time came.  She was a loud sleeper, lots of unpredictable snoring/choking/loud cries, etc and she had the TV on loud (turning it down or off woke her up).  Clearly she was in a bad way, and I hope she's doing better today.  As for me, I managed to sleep only until about 2am at which point I just couldn't do it anymore (even with my good ear smashed on the pillow).  I went to the nurses station and asked for ear plugs.  Thankfully, they took pity on me and immediately moved me to a single room (with direction to not mention the room change, because they get lots of requests that they can't fill).

In other news, I have had GREAT nurses here in the neurosurgery unit.  I feel very well cared for, by people who are smart, caring and good at their jobs.  It probably sounds flowery, but my nurses, their assistants, my doctors (mostly- sorry neurosurgeons; you don't get good marks from me this time) are just great.  They know what they're doing, they care about how I'm doing, they care that I understand what is going on...It really makes such a huge difference when you have confidence in the people in control of things.

I'd flip it, but it barely matters.

I'll post a quick update before I go to bed.  I'd say sleep, but that doesn't really happen much here at the hospital.  Thanks for all the support!!

5 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you! Thanks very much for your newsy and detailed report. Glad to hear that things are going as well as could be expected, and that for the most part, the staff are great. Yes, it does make a difference, I am sure. Nixxxx on the neurosurgeons!

    I hope that you get the go-ahead for chemo and that it is uneventful. I will be waiting for another good report!

    Take care.

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geezz! You can't heal properly if you can't sleep. So glad that the lovely nurses moved you to a private room! I thought that they only had TVs with sound via headsets in hospitals?? Golly, that neurosurgeon person needs to start understanding that pain ain't good for folks - can you grab him by the balls and say I won't hurt you if you don't hurt me?! Sadistic neurosurgeons aside, it's great that you're getting such good care. Fingers crossed that the chemo goes well, that you don't experience much of a reaction and that you're home with Keith and the furry folks by tomorrow night. love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post lady and I love the picture!
    xoa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you have technetium inside you! (or had) How cool is that?! Glad things are going relatively well. I'd be so grumpy about the noisy sleeper--it's the pits to be so tired and not be able to sleep without being disturbed. My mom sleeps every night with the TV on (this is not a family trait--I wear earplugs if there's anything louder than the sound of a light breeze through the trees). Every time she's visited me she sort of panics when it's time for bed and she realizes that I don't own a TV. Poor mama.

    Anyway, get some good sleep tonight. Glad to hear that everything is going according to plan so far. Thinking happy thoughts for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a day you have had! I can't imagine having the energy to get into the geeky side of these things. I'd be putting my head in the sand (metaphorically). My hat off to you for all your interest in these scientific explanations. Good for you - it is probably good to know what is going on. And thanks for having the time and energy to communicate with us about all of this so we can follow your progress. lots of love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete