Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Moving' On Up.

After reporting feeling more numbness in my feet, legs, arm, really over a lot of my body my medical oncologist and neurosurgeon have decided to push up my ommaya reservoir insertion. I got a call a couple hours ago telling me to make my way to the ER. They'll admit me tonight, get me setup with IV steroids to try to knock back the swelling causing this numbness. I'll get scans tomorrow, surgery Thursday, chemo Thursday (I think) and then ill get discharged Friday. We'll see how that all goes... This is just more evidence that I shouldn't try to plan for things. I bought my mom a plane ticket so she could be here to help Keith out with the animals/house stuff when I had surgery. Oh well, this way I get to spend more time with her while I recuperate. Before all this broke out, I spent a couple hours cleaning out my old classroom. I filled several bins with paper. It was very cleansing. Normally I'd spend more time going through it and organizing it, but not so much this time. I think things are pretty well set now, I've still got a couple things that need to get back to school, but otherwise I'm set! The biggest bummer of the day is that with this schedule change, I won't be at graduation tomorrow. Graduation is such a great chance to give a hug and an encouraging word to the seniors. I was planning on going, but alas it is not to be. I'll report more soon. Wish us luck!

7 comments:

  1. Planning is overrated, glad your mom is going to be there during the recuping. I think the way you are handling this has been an inspiration to all of your students, one that you don't learn from a book.. I'm sure your students know you would rather be with them if at all possible. As always our thoughts, prayers and a large dose of Irish luck is with you, hope the procedure is successful in getting the numbness to go away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping that the IV steroids are working their magic to reduce the swelling as we speak, and that the surgery and chemo go smoothly and painlessly tomorrow. It must have been startling to get the unexpected call to get to the hospital to get this all started. I sure hope you get some good results right away. What a shame that you'll miss graduation; it sounds like your students will know that you're cheering for them in spirit and that they'll be rooting for the success of this new treatment. Here's hoping that there's an unintended benefit due to these changes to your well made plans - that you'll be feeling well enough to do something enjoyable during your mom's visit. love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Eileen- To echo the above, I hope you are feeling more comfortable today and your surgery and chemo go smoothly tomorrow. What a bummer for both you and your students that you won't be able to go to graduation.
    I am with you in spirit, but I am so glad that Keith is really with you. Thank you, Keith, for taking such good care of Eileen!!!
    Love, ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. That you voluntarily attend high school graduations and are sad that you'll miss this one really speaks to what a saint you are. Good luck with everything this week--hang in there! And have fun with your mom when she's in town!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Eileen,
    You're handling this latest turn of events unbelievably well; what an inspiration you are!

    I'm hoping that you're feeling the good effects of the steroids today and that the surgery and chemo go well tomorrow.

    I'm sure your students will dearly miss seeing you at their graduation. So sorry you can't be there to enjoy seeing them.

    Sending you lots of love and prayers,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks very much for the update! Wow, I am very sorry to hear the news, but I hope that the surgery goes well, and that the chemo starts working ASAP!
    That is a shame that you will not be able to attend graduation, but your students know that you would be there if you could! That is huge!
    Thinking of, and rooting for you.

    Hugs to all!
    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Eileen, I'm so sorry that you've been suffering from numbness. I hope that you are already feeling some good effects of the steroids and that the operation tomorrow goes smoothly. Yes, tossing out piles of paper is always satisfying. Bummer that you're not going to be at the graduation for those seniors. But, I'm sure they know you are supporting them 100% and would love nothing better than to be there. Good luck with the operation tomorrow and thanks to Keith for taking care of the house, pets, but most of all YOU! Take good care of yourself. All our love and hugs, Ellen

    ReplyDelete