Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Tentative Plans

So here's a quick update on the plan... Thursday morning (hopefully) they'll do the surgery to insert the ommaya reservoir. The surgery itself takes 20 minutes, but it'll be a couple hours when you count the ride down to pre-op and then recovery... The neurosurgeons don't want to give chemo right away, so Friday and Saturday I'll be hanging around healing up. I'll probably also get some scans done to check on the port and the flow of the cerebral spinal fluid (csf) to be sure the chemo can get everywhere I need it. Finally on Saturday or more likely Sunday I'll finally get chemo. I'll be getting a chemo called depocyt. The doc went through all the scary possible side effects, confusion, dizziness, loss of balance and encephalopathy (a very general term for your brain being FUCKED UP. In the end these things are pretty unlikely and my other options are even less tempting, so we are going ahead with all this. So after all that hopefully I'll be home on Sunday or Monday at the latest. Not ideal, but I guess I'll take it. Pls excuse all typos, I wrote this post on my phone and didn't have my trusty proof reader (Keith).

3 comments:

  1. Eileen, sending all my love to you and Keith. Thinking of you guys. Many hugs. If there's anything I can help with, let me know. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This longer stay in the hospital doesn't sound like fun, but giving your body a few days for healing before starting the chemo does sound smart. Anything that messes with your brain is pretty darn scary. We're thinking of you today hoping that the surgery goes smoothly and doesn't cause you discomfort afterwards. I sure wish I were closer so I could do something - anything!- to help out. love to you and Keith, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that’s too bad that you will have to be in the hospital longer than expected but it’s probably better to be on the safe side. And, I hope that the chemo side effects are minimal to non-existent. I am thinking of you today and wishing you all the best.

    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete