Monday, March 8, 2010

First One Down...

Keith and I are finally back home after my marathon drip, some assing around trying to get scheduled for everything else and getting meds from the in-house pharmacist (way easier than having to go to the drug store!). Keith was great, he came with me this morning and stayed with me for an hour or so, then he went to work for a bit and came back at 2:00. What a guy!

The other guy in my life today was G my infusion nurse. He explained everything, kept me smiling and even let me take a quick picture of my first bag of chemo!!

Everything went fine, but they had us worried at first. My liver enzyme levels were pretty high, so they had to call Dr. Y to check and see if we could go ahead. Thankfully she gave the go ahead and we got started (albeit 45 minutes late, Keith says "that is why you're called a 'patient'").

Before the chemo drugs start they give me a bunch of "pre-meds". This includes several different anti-nausea drugs, benedryl and steroids. The benedryl kicked my ass. As soon as they injected it I felt it. I'm gaining an understanding for intravenous drug use. The benedryl made me sleepy and out of it for a couple hours.

Then the chemo starts (taxotere first, then carboplatin, then herceptin). Everything went in very slowly today just in case I had a bad reaction (my next drip should take less time, thankfully!).

The only thing that hurt was accessing the port. My port is still tender (I've only had it a little over a week) and they have to push pretty hard to find the right spot in there. Once they got in, it was fine, but ooof, I'm going to have to get some numbing cream before my next drip!

Now I'm just sitting around waiting for the side effects to come... Actually, I'm going to force myself to get up and walk the dog in a bit. I should be fine today (with all those pre-meds) and tomorrow I'll go back in for a Neulasta shot (kick start my bone marrow) and I'll start taking some heavy duty anti-nausea pills (the pharmacist called one an anti-nausea bomb). Fingers crossed it all works and I continue feeling pretty good!

6 comments:

  1. Eileen- Glad your first chemo treatment went relatively smoothly. Hope those anti-nausea drugs work well for you. Love the pictures. You're lookin' good!
    Keith- I like your new hair cut. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the detailed report complete with pictures. Geeezzz, nothing is easy or straightforward, is it! You are a trooper. Yes, here’s hoping the side effects are few or at least manageable.

    Take care. Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rohmer,
    You are in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you so much for your detailed report. Please let me know if you need anything from school; I can bring it over.

    Glen
    510-816-3523

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaay for the boys taking such good care of you! Hope the installation of the port will have healed enough for next time to make it easier, and that the "anti-nausea bomb" does a super job this week. Thanks for your detailed reports - we're thinking of you and it's great to know what's happening. Hugs & purrs, S, L & N

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Eileen
    Good to see that you've got your men taking care of you! Keith looks young and quite dapper without the pony tail. And your smiling nurse is hopefully very attentive to all your wishes. Best of all you look strong and determined!! Keep up the good spirits...
    Hope your next few days are better than expected in terms of side-effects.
    All our love and encouragement, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a wonder woman. What a positive spin you put on all this...I would have kind of liked to see what it's like when you're "mad". I just can't imagine!!! You are in my positive health thoughts. (And don't worry I won't share with your students all the nice lingo you use or maybe that's part of your lectures...) TAKE CARE!!!!! Liz (from work)

    ReplyDelete