Monday, March 1, 2010

Why am I so excited about chemo?

Today I'm cranky, not depressed or down, just cranky. I had an appointment to see a cardiologist to have my heart checked out. The herceptin that I'll be getting in my chemo cocktail damages heart muscle is a small percentage of folks, so they want to have a baseline picture of my heart prior to chemo. The nice part about this appointment is that it fell right at the beginning of my two free periods (I didn't need a sub, yippee! This never happens!). I teach my first class and hustle down the hill to the doctor's office. I get there and wait for a bit before the receptionist opens the little window to say "I'm so sorry, the doctor is home sick today with a fever." WTF! I asked why she didn't call to tell me and get nowhere, urgh. I need this test before I can start chemo. Chemo that I need because this cancer is dividing and dividing inside me (a thought that makes me sick to my stomach). The receptionist can tell I'm mad and freaking out as I tell her I'm waiting on this test before I can start chemo. She starts working on rescheduling me and finds time on Friday when they can fit me in. FRIDAY?!?! I was hoping to start chemo by Friday. I left that office and went right downstairs to the oncologist's office. I'm freaking out and walk in and talk to the receptionist who talks me down a bit. She's surprised they can't fit me in earlier but says even if it is Friday I should be able to start chemo on Monday. I leave feeling better, but still fuming that no one in the cardiologist's office thought to call and tell me not to come!?

Wait, there's more...
I got home and checked the phone; two new messages.

Before I talk about the messages, let me give you the background, I have a CAT scan of my liver tomorrow (another baseline kind of thing). When they scheduled me for this scan (on Friday) they told me I needed to get some blood tests. I dutifully went and got blood drawn (my hands and forarms are now such a mess from all this that a kid asked me if I had gotten my hand slammed in a door, yikes!) on Friday afternoon.

Back to the messages. The first was from someone at the oncologists office who said that they hadn't gotten the results of my blood tests and "I thought I told you how important it was to have these blood tests done." She was scolding me! The second was from someone at the CT scan place who told me at least three times that if they didn't get these blood results my CT scan would be cancelled. So I call back to figure this stuff out and it turns out the lab where I had my blood taken had misspelled my name but they'd finally figured it out and I get to drink my barium tonight!

Yippee!

4 comments:

  1. "Bravo!" to you, Eileen! Way to go! You actively kept on top of this snafu. We're proud of you. Got things back on track. We're keeping our good vibes coming your way to both of you, but especially to Eileen as she goes through yet another procedure. Love, P and A oxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you to stay mad rather than sad so you can keep on top of these incompetents. You need an executive assistant to deal with all hassles for you.....almost a full time job! Let the chemo begin and soon, eh? Fight'n mad on your behalf, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear of all your frustrations..... You really do need an advocate, be it yourself or someone else, to get through all of these medical hoops. Hope your chemo can start on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Anonymous here,

    On a much more serious note, I am so sorry to hear of all your recent frustrations . These sorts of interactions should only appear in comedy sketches or training videos on how bureaucracies (even small ones) should not operate.

    I hope that you don’t have any more obstacles in the next few days and are able to start chemo (you know that life is unspeakably tough when ‘being able to start chemo’ is filed under ‘good news!’)

    Take care,
    Jane (a.k.a. Anonymous)

    ReplyDelete